Chrome Surpasses 30 Percent Market Share For The First Time

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
I'm not surprised, I've been using Chrome for the last 5 years. Never a problem. It doesn't crash it's fast and I like its user interface.
I stopped using IE simply because it stinks. There's always a problem with something or another and I just got tired of dealing with it. IE is a big headache.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
So, I wonder how many Chrome users use that browser because of google's sneak-ware installs when you install pretty much all of the free applications and utilities google pays to install chrome when people just do the 'next' 'next' 'next' 'next' method of software installation.
Almost everyone I've spoken to have no idea how chrome got installed and why its their default browser, and because they're too scared or lacking in computer ability to remove it google gets these bogus marketshare numbers and users get a shitty browser experience and have pretty much everything they do online spied upon by google for that corporation's personal gain.

I try chrome every so often but its such a nasty ugly browser I never stick with it for more than a few hours before moving back to FF with its much better adblocking extensions and far more userfriendlyness.

Also, I just plain don't trust google any more, especially with their new announcement that they are now collating your activities across all google products and services to better target you with adverts for shit you don't give a damn about, and promoting google+ pages over the sites you actually want. I'm sick of google delivering pages worth of search results trying to sell me the thing I'm trying to research rather than the information I actually want. Bing does a MUCH MUCH better job, and looks a lot nicer too.

G

@matt_b
Android doesn't have the Chrome browser yet, so no they re not counting mobile. Android uses a Webkit based browser (same engine used by Chrome and Safari), but it's not Chrome.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Perhaps Microsoft will begin to insist Google.com display other browser choices as it could be considered an unfair advantage.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]hiruu[/nom]IE USer by choice, but I use Firfox from tiem to time...chrome...nope.[/citation]
I use Opera on my android, apparently the lighter option for smartphones, but I've not tested them all.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]danraies[/nom]Chrome and Android are different things. Chrome is the browser and Android is the operating system.[/citation]
He knows this however many versions of android come with a chrome browser.

icannotspell

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
I tried to use Chrome for a month. I discovered a few issues with Chrome that need to be changed before I'll try it again.
1. The way it displays lots of tabs. Pinned tabs take up too much space and when you have 40+ tabs you cannot see an icon or anything on the tab itself. Makes it a pain to switch between them.
2. Extensions don't work as well or have as many options as they do in FireFox or IE (for the same extension).
3. Not all webpages loaded correctly and some where incompatible with Chrome all together
4. When reloading lots of tabs on startup, it is MUCH slower than the memory hog FireFox.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]danraies[/nom]I'm just curious if there are lots of people out there who prefer IE to the other choices or are forced to use it because of compatibility issues or anything like that.[/citation]

I'm forced to use IE for outlook web access. Only the lite version of outlook web access is available for other browsers.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Im done with Firefox. Used it for the last year at work as they blocked Chrome downloads. Firerfox is way over hyped and I personally found it to be rather slow and the update process annoying and a pain the butt.

I use Chrome at home and while it has a few quirks I am most happy with it. For all the FF fanboys crying about adblock being so great in FF, chrome has one too and I am never bothered with annoying ads.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]Almost everyone I've spoken to have no idea how chrome got installed and why its their default browser, and because they're too scared or lacking in computer ability to remove it -----pretty much everything they do online spied upon by google for that corporation's personal gain.-----------.Also, I just plain don't trust google any more, especially with their new announcement that they are now collating your activities across all google products and services to better target you.-----Bing does a MUCH MUCH better job, and looks a lot nicer too.[/citation] I don't know what your talking about. You have to download and Install the Google browser to your computer unlike IE which is provided with the Windows operating system. Additionally, you have to select to make it your default browser. I get the impression you think you have some specialized incite when you say things like "because they're too scared or lacking in computer ability to remove it " Are you kidding me !!! LOL With regards to your privacy, you lost it the second you signed on to the internet. Don't kid yourself. We live in a very very small world now. I guess its just a matter of personal taste which browser people prefer.

G

I wish these small market increase articles on Toms where maybe once a year instead of every other week. The only thing more iritatating is the "I use...." comments that follow.

weez

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
I've used multiple browsers. The technical differences between them these days have become esoteric, the reason why I'm using IE9 is because it uses up the least amount of top screen space.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]gerry410[/nom]I don't know what your talking about. You have to download and Install the Google browser to your computer unlike IE which is provided with the Windows operating system. Additionally, you have to select to make it your default browser. I get the impression you think you have some specialized incite when you say things like "because they're too scared or lacking in computer ability to remove it " Are you kidding me !!! LOL With regards to your privacy, you lost it the second you signed on to the internet. Don't kid yourself. We live in a very very small world now. I guess its just a matter of personal taste which browser people prefer.[/citation]
So, when I install CCleaner, or ImgBurn, or pretty much ANY OTHER free utility, you can promise me I won't suddenly find a Google Chrome icon sitting on my desktop (if I install the utility just by clicking on the next buttons).
Google pay software makers to install chrome as part of the i9nstallation process of the software you actually wanted. Its exactly the same as the poor fools who use iTunes will generally have it (or rather the Apple Software Updater) sneak-install Safari on their PCs.
Or how about the Conduit Search Engine Bar, or the old Comet Cursor. They all sneak onto your system without your explicit consent by hiding in the installation routines of software you DID want.
Now you and me are smart enough to not just click every 'next' button an installer displays without knowing what extra shit its going to install, but the vast computer using public do not do this.
And immoral software makers like google exploit this to get their rubbishware on as many computers as possible.
Why should I not get the chance to NOT install the Google Updater when I install Google Earth? It keeps earth up to date (nothing that Earth could do by itself) but more insidiously it downloads and installs other Google crap like Chrome without asking the users consent.
Its this kind of thing, the sneak-installs, that I believe has given chrome this bump in marketshare numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.