Chrome to Surpass IE Market Share by End of March

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emjayy

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]chucko[/nom]There is no way that Statcounter is correct. Here is a completely different set of numbers:http://netmarketshare.com/browser- [...] pcustomd=0[/citation]

@chucko

That data you linked to is from NetApplications, a company whose data I will never trust again.

I've been visiting these browser tracking sites regularly and viewing their data years before Chrome even existed. In the beginning, I relied mainly on NetApplications data but then noticed with amazement that they had persistently claimed that Apple's OSX had 10% of global share, which was absolutely impossible since Apple's sales figures indicated that they couldn't have more than 3-4% global market share at the time. However, it just so happened that hardware sales data indicated that Apple's machines had about 10% of the US market and only 50% of their sales were to the rest of the globe! Coincidence? No. Further investigation revealed that NetApplications overwhelmingly gets their data from sites that primarily services users living in the North American market, causing their so-called 'global' data to be severely skewed to resemble the North American market instead of the global market. And that explained how they came up with that erroneous OSX global data. The media was using their data as gospel, and no one paid any attention to the obvious flaws in the numbers, simply ignoring the fact that all the other browser analysis were painting a totally different picture.

Then suddenly, NetApplication announced that they had 'changed their methodology' and their numbers suddenly began to look more like what StatCounter and others were saying all along. However, they're still mainly tracking sites that overwhelmingly get their traffic from the English-speaking North American market and they're still trying to use that kind of limited, flawed sample to claim they know what the global picture looks like. Meanwhile, the media continues to quote them as if the years that they spent giving the world wrong information didn't happen. Sorry, but I'm not buying it.

NetApplications only monitors about 40,000 sites. StatCounter monitors well over 3 million sites from across the globe, and they have so much data from each and every country that they can provide daily stats on every country out there. I've looked at independent data from specific countries and compared them to what StatCounter has tallied and the data and trends match up quite well. That's why I have far more confidence in StatCounter's global data figures.

chucko

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Looking at Statcounter, they counts pageviews and the number one country that they track is the US, followed by Brazil and then the UK. China is #11 on their list. They simply track page views. Page view tracking is inherently flawed in the fact that it is subject to automated bots and other short term anomalies along with the ability of some users or systems to poison the data stream.

I'd much rather trust the data coming from a smaller overall sample size that is generated using a controlled and well designed sampling methodology than I would from a system that places absolutely no controls on their data sources.

Compare for yourself:

http://www.netmarketshare.com/faq.aspx

http://gs.statcounter.com/faq#methodology

Which methodology would you trust?

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
[citation][nom]chucko[/nom]There is no way that Statcounter is correct. Here is a completely different set of numbers:http://netmarketshare.com/browser- [...] pcustomd=0[/citation]

The site mentioned was filtered to desktop devices... How about all devices...

We are talking about browser here as a whole and should not be limited to a single device... the data you presented is not complete

G

For those who say "You can't just extend the data," I suggest you look at the graphs and notice just how shockingly linear they actually are. Sure, they are gong to change at some point, but calling that change as 2-3 months from now really seems unrealistic given that the numbers have been primarily linear for almost two years. It actually looks like the market is going to shake out to about 30/30/30 + 10 for the "Other" category. That will make for a supremely healthy browser market, the like of which I don't think the modern Internet has seen.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
No wonder. Chrome's rendering engine can take advantage of more than one core to render all the tabs, whereas Firefox is limited to 1 core.
I hope Firefox gets this feature soon so when restoring all tabs, it's fast and uses all CPU power available.

mrsphex

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
[citation][nom]junixophobia[/nom]And you can predict when it will flatline... the author just followed the stat and if you can't predict that crome will flatline in less than 2 months then it will most likely grow and by plus minus march, it will overcome IE... unless you can predict its decline without undergoing a flatline first in two months...Now if you analyze the current market, how many android do you think is being bought? and... I don't know any IE being installed in any android device... also, i'm sure its the weekend buying day where peeps buy their android phone/tablets and then install crome to browse... based on this I would say that the stat is realistic... don't you think?[/citation]

Bad data? Chrome for Android just came out for ICS...the normal browser isn't chrome or chromium based at all.

mrsphex

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]I think IE runs on Vista too. Not that I'm endorsing Vista, mind you. Just saying.[/citation]

One of my parents computers runs Vista. IE9 does work on it, so you are right.

Sorry for double post Dx

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
[citation][nom]MrSphex[/nom]Bad data? Chrome for Android just came out for ICS...the normal browser isn't chrome or chromium based at all.[/citation]

In the citation, I didn't mention anything about bad data, I mentioned that you can't predict a flatline in two months

As for the bad data on my second post, the site clearly shows desktop only. I am sure their is a separate stat for laptop, mobilephone and others and thus that data is not complete.

Bad data, no, but incomplete, yes.

The crome for android is just a bonus now that it is available to android. In that effect, that stat will most likely grow for crome... or to any browser that is available to android...

kunjar

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Both Chrome and Firefox fail to render certain sites properly and its embarrassing given that they arent exactly the new kids on the block. Plus the extra add-ons are junk/bloatware, delay browser launch time, and browsing. IE9 has a simple pop-up blocker which is more than enough to suit my needs. Besides i know that all sites with render as intended with IE9. The only problem is the microsoft take too damn long to release updates. They need to look at 3-6month release cycles rather than 6month+ which is where they are losing users who will look around and find another browser with whatever features they think they require.

G

Interesting stuff ... check out this visualization to see how Chrome caught up in market share from mid 2009! Fascinating!

Browser Market Share Stats from 2008 to 2012. See Chrome catch-up so fast! http://bit.ly/ytlLzG

G

Yep, I used IE9 yesterday! To download Chrome on my new laptop. That is the only voluntary usage of IE have had in a long time. Othewise I use IE7 on an old xp machine to access the webs applications of some idiotic companies I have to use. Wide usage of IE does not translate as popularity. Most IE users are cursing it every day since it is being forced upon them by lazy websites and companies that support only legacy IE

Status
Not open for further replies.