Cisco Access Points with CleanAir Tech Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

in0va3

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
I think consumers would rarely need this unless their wallets are filled with 4-digit cash or they're used for enterprise. But gamers are of course, using a wired connection which is no doubt hard-wired and already zero interference.

nekoangel

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
Cisco is enterprise, this is where the technology matters and makes money, not your grandmas house. These are not simple plug in and use web interface devices.

Finally there is self proactive wireless devices that can fix their own problems and show you what is causing them, instead of figuring out that some one placed a microwave in the cubical.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I would buy one if cisco will give me a 90% discount.

with their current prices, I feel that it's a little too late for a April fools joke.

for $ 995 I can buy 20 wireless routers and on each install dd-wrt or tomato and then crank up the transmit power and then put one in each room of the building and I will get better coverage than the single overpriced access point.

lolsir

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Nice product specially for people like me who can only assume which electronic device is interfering with my wifi and causing the slowdown...

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
When I turn on my wireless rear speakers for my surround sound in the living room, it shuts off my wifi network with its signal. Conversely, if someone starts the microwave while my rear speakers are on they start buzzing and crackling like crazy. If this thing could stop either of those things I would be incredibly impressed.. Not that it would make me buy one, but I would still be impressed..

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]I would buy one if cisco will give me a 90% discount.with their current prices, I feel that it's a little too late for a April fools joke.for $ 995 I can buy 20 wireless routers and on each install dd-wrt or tomato and then crank up the transmit power and then put one in each room of the building and I will get better coverage than the single overpriced access point.[/citation]

LOL, maybe for one client you will see better coverage, however most people who use Cisco devices don't do so from their fortress of solitude. Having used a lot of access points, including Cisco, I can assure you that there is no equivalent to a good radio if you are expecting a lot of traffic and a lot of clients. Cheap routers with maxed out transmitters will fail you big time in that situation, and by cheap I mean anything less than $500/node. Just because you can't see the value in Cisco devices, doesn't mean it's not there.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I understand that their devices are better but I don;'t see them being $1000 better

it is like when a company comes out with what seems to be their top of the line CPU then a few weeks later they release yet another CPU that cost 4 times as much but when tomshardware benchmarks them, there at most 10-15% faster, sure the new CPU is faster but it is not 4 times the cost faster.

the clean air tech will mainly help improve range, I have been in situations where a access point will be one one channel that seems clear, but changing to a slightly more congested channel will boost the range because something in the area was causing a lot of interference on that channel. The problem is that only their insanely expensive model has it, their super expensive overpriced model lacks it.

You know how they have people who will look at the hardware inside of a device and try to estimate the true cost like they did with the ipad, why not do it with these overpriced access points, I bet you will find something like cisco charging $1100 for only $60 worth of hardware

[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]I would buy one if cisco will give me a 90% discount.with their current prices, I feel that it's a little too late for a April fools joke.for $ 995 I can buy 20 wireless routers and on each install dd-wrt or tomato and then crank up the transmit power and then put one in each room of the building and I will get better coverage than the single overpriced access point.[/citation]

I also would not buy a $1,000,000 heavy equipment truck to drive to work, why get something that has 8' tall tires and can carry 50 tons when I can just buy 100 used Honda's for the same price?

quanticfx

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Generally when you're using this class of device you don't have just one. We have 10 Aironet's in our building being controlled by two WCS systems. The ability to have WCS control transmit power of each access point on a dynamic basis is something you're not going to find in consumer grade access points.

Enterprise class hardware also has the capability to support several different WLANs at a time. We have four running throughout our building, with some hidden in different parts of the building.

There are many features enterprise class equipment has that just aren't available in consumer grade equipment. It may be possible to unlock consumer access points or routers with hacks, but that's not something you want to do in a production environment.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]hang-the-9[/nom]I also would not buy a $1,000,000 heavy equipment truck to drive to work, why get something that has 8' tall tires and can carry 50 tons when I can just buy 100 used Honda's for the same price?[/citation]

it depends, if you only need to take a lot of stuff from point A to point B then a giant truck can work but if you need to take a lot of things from point ABCDEFGHIJK to point LMNOPQRSTUV then the cars will work

if you own a large building where you have like 5 floors and like 20 offices 20 routers or access points running tomato or dd-wrt will offer better coverage than the overpriced access point that may at most cover 1 floor in the building.

One of my friends owns a small restaurant they have a single router running tomato (I set it up for them, they have a 30mbit connection and open wifi, on a busy day, there can by around 30-40 people on it at the same time and it still runs fine. (they use the ssid to advertise the name of the place)

while a professional access point will work better, I don't feel it will work $1000 better than the wrt54gl they have set up.

it is just like the whole geforce quadro and firegl thing, the cards are about the same as the gaming cards, a software hack often allows them to get nearly the same performance (quadro's and firegl's will sometimes store slightly higher in memory intensive tasks due to the faster memory and more memory, but overall the performance boost is not worth paying 5 times more, unless you buy into the whole reliability thing which gaming cards handle the stuff just fine. for my college, The professor had me build a render fox for the graphic design class, the render engine they use are maya and 2 others which support GPU acceleration. it uses 2 GTX 280's in SLI 8GB memory and a core 2 quad Q9550 most of the year it will be at full CPU and GPU load, it runs windows XP and it has never crashed, (no antivirus or any extra software or internet connection, it just has the 3d design software, drivers and the render engines installed, no sound or anything else, stripped down startup, a gaming card can handle being at full GPU load non stop for months on end with no problem)

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
to summarize what I am really getting at, 1 of those access points will not cover a large area, if you have a office building, you will need multiple of those expensive access points.
Imagine you own a successful oil company supplying oil to most of the planet and then you suddenly go into debt and bankruptcy because your ID department decided to to buy like 20 of these clean air access points, how would you feel?

can even a large company afford more than 1 of these access points?

[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]it depends, if you only need to take a lot of stuff from point A to point B then a giant truck can work but if you need to take a lot of things from point ABCDEFGHIJK to point LMNOPQRSTUV then the cars will workif you own a large building where you have like 5 floors and like 20 offices 20 routers or access points running tomato or dd-wrt will offer better coverage than the overpriced access point that may at most cover 1 floor in the building. - snip - citation]

I think you may have missed the sarcasm :) Quite a few posters were comparing this enterprise equipment to their home $50 routers.

czar1020

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
These are for companies not home use, as stated before. They are a wet dream for us who work with them daily at work but have to come home to a pos.

Anyway kinda neat it will adjust to interferences other then just another access point.Sadly like all Cisco products it will be a year later before I would truly trust it, until then consider yourself a Beta tester.

czar1020

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
As far as the cost goes

Cisco AIR-AP1242G-A-K9
CISCO AIR-AP1131AG-A-K9

They are have different usage but they both cost ~500 and they are several years old. Very high quality.

[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]to summarize what I am really getting at, 1 of those access points will not cover a large area, if you have a office building, you will need multiple of those expensive access points.Imagine you own a successful oil company supplying oil to most of the planet and then you suddenly go into debt and bankruptcy because your ID department decided to to buy like 20 of these clean air access points, how would you feel?can even a large company afford more than 1 of these access points?[/citation]

I worked (and work now) for a large company. Our IT budget SURPLUS at least one year was close to 1 million. That would buy about 10,000 of those things using only the money we did not need to spend. I work at a hospital now, our IT storage had a stack of about 20 unopened SISCO access points from a few years back. Figure at the time those were easily $300-$400 for the cheapest model. So there are plenty of companies that can easily afford to wire a building with those (or I guess UNwire it in this case)

Status
Not open for further replies.