Class-Action Lawsuit Filed Over Blackberry Service Outages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunfighterlc

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Oh boy, class actions! Even when you win them you get 2 dollars the lawyers get millions. While RiM i think does need to offer more compensation other than programs, considering the monthly bills cell phones are these days, a class action is useless for the people. RiM should consider suing Canada though, think of all the accidents and lives that were saved by people not texting and driving!

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Ya know....every time I think that intelligence might just exist on this planet.....some pathetic group of idiots pops up and files a class-action suit because they think their lives were irreparably interrupted due to a service outage....

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
you know, with sony, i can see a class action, they royally screwed up, and the only real way to make change on an international corporation, would be to kick it in its wallet, they will go to any measure to protect the money they have, and not spend money if its not 100% needed. kick them in the wallet, and they will do better risk analysis.

but "BOO HOO I WENT 3 DAYS WITHOUT FULL USE OF MY PHONE, WOLD OVER" someone needs to kicked the people who proposed this in the balls till they are so damaged they cant reproduce, or kids or for fun. 3 days of no phone... i haven't used a phone in 8 years.

G

3 days down after years of constant service then you sue... right.... I'm sure somewhere in their long TOS says something about "99% uptime" which should cover them from being sued for being down anyways.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
In this case i would not take action. In spain where internet is a blood drainer and the quality of the service is more horrible than a kryptonite bullet on supermans genitals... Id go for it.

I hope this DOES reach the spanish comunity and HOPEFULLY make the internet providers get scared enought to lower their prices AND improve quality.

icecreambarr

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
What!?! I'm a customer in Quebec and I didn't sign this, nor do I want this class action... how am I included in this? I called the "Consumer Law Group Inc." (514-266-7863) in Montreal and they confirmed they are behind the class action suit. The phone was answered "Ornstein Law Group, I mean Consumer Law Group" :) They have 3 employees. I was hung up on when I asked how dare they include me in a law suit that I think is wrong.

Canada is NOT a Country that uses legal avenues to get back at someone for a "black eye". We deal with it and move on. Consumer Law Group: you do not represent me and I think your policy to sue does not represent the courage Canadian's have to look at the bigger picture, even when it's unpopular. Kindness and understanding are the principles we stand on, not litigious cry baby-ism.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
What next, a class action lawsuit against every city for all the traffic jams? Then go after all car manufacturers for producing all those cars?

G

I too think that this is a silly thing to pursue.. I didn't miss my phone too much and I use it every day. So I had to go without email and bbm for a few days.. get over yourself if you are so vain that you need to sue for such a thing..

I read an article about this where the guy who started a similar suit is going to get $1.25 for the three days.. GIVE up and return your phone if you need that money back.. You do not need a smartphone or even a cellphone at this point.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Yeah, on behalf of the users... sure it is. Clearly, this is a lawyer money grab because the compensation for each user that they're seeking was something like a 1.25$. Of course, multiply that by 35 million, take 20-50% of that for 'legal fees' and you get a pretty big lawyer payday. Someone in CA is trying this nonsense too. I'm usually surprised that lawyers try this kind of obviously frivolous stuff considering judges can, and do, leverage pretty hefty fines on the perpetrators of frivolous suits.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
The claims are ridiculous. No action to compensate? RIM is offering a $100 package of apps. Besides, having a 99% service uptime for secure communication and people are complaining?

Status
Not open for further replies.