Question Clevo W870CU CMOS battery location

Apr 26, 2023
Team,

Does anybody know where Clevo W870CU CMOS battery is located? I took hald of laptop apart and yet unable to find it. There is no doubt that the battery is dead but I am unable to find it. Google search resulted in nothing.

Apr 26, 2023

helpstar,​

Many thanks for your reply. I have mine W870CU apart this is not a battery but some kind of mini board. So I am still lost. Other Clevo laptops have it under keyboard but W870CU CMOS battery isnt there.

Apr 26, 2023
I have got "fantastic" response from Wesley at exPro-Star (now Sager):

"I believed this model you need remove the motherboard to see it. sorry...."

when I asked Wesley for some detailed helped, as this is not described in the service manual, I have got even more amusing response: "no, sorry..... too long.....".

I have been using Clevo laptops since 2009 (bought four of them). However, such response from Wesley on behalf of Sager is quite unacceptable.

I also believe that its not reasonable for Sager to choose such motherboards which to get to CMOS battery require motherboard removal.

We know the location but thanks to Wesley it was my last Clevo laptop. Once current P775T ends its life, I will take my business elsewhere. I expected more after spending over $10,000 on Clevo machines over the years.

Well, it can happen to any model or brand, that the cmos battery is not easy reachable.
No brand or seller (some could, but then you would be very lucky) will give you support to disassemble the laptop completely. That´s up to the repair stations or support centers to do and get money for it.
More and more doesn´t have one anymore and the main battery is providing the voltage for the CMOS only.

Apr 26, 2023
helpstar, many thanks for your candid response. While it can happen, I am out sure whether it should have happened.
While one has to agree that the after service business should work. Its exactly what Sager Notebooks (Pro -star) replied: " I can only issue a RMA for you to ship the system in for service would may be the best opt at this time." Imagine, you are paying to ship round trip laptop and pay to replace an item which by design fails after three years or so.

Secondly, from customer service point of view - I bought four laptops from them - three more after W870CU. So evidently I am just sentimental and dont like to throw away thing which still works otherwise. In my view its just Wesley K underminded the Sager Notebooks brand.

It worked for me. It was time to say good bye to Pro-Star, Sager Notebooks, Wesley K, Eddie Yuan and the rest of the merry company. The main reasons to go away from Pro-Star (Sager notebooks):
  • I don’t travel with the laptops anymore and 17’’ laptop with RAID 1 weights a lot - 10 lb or 4.4 kg.
  • Awful customer support by Pro-Star (Sager Notebooks).
  • The notebooks aren’t upgradeable by and large.
  • The notebooks are not maintenance friendly and noisy.
  • I am paying for notebook’s screen which I hardly use these days.
I started looking for a suitable and cost-effective replacement to my Pro-Star (Sager Notebooks) Clevo laptops.
I moved to QuietPC and spent $2900 last month on different supplier.

Here are my ramblings on the subject: Good bye Clevo Prostar (Sager) and welcome Quiet PC Leviathan Z4 ATX Gaming PC

Last edited:
Reactions: helpstar