CM Storm NovaTouch TKL Review — Half-Baked Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosme Benito

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014
This article gave me cancer. The switches the keyboard is using are Topre, which are considered to be premium. The "purple things" are adapter stems so you can use cherry mx keycaps with topre switches. You should totally get some base information before you review a product.

lightsol

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Indeed, the review was quite royally uninformed.

Then again you could look at it as a review by someone who has no clue what they are using, but still, for a professional reviewer, it was pretty bad.

rioc

Estimable
Apr 16, 2014
How about letting someone review products with actual knowledge in the field of operation?

This review has as much worth as me, as IT Network-Engineer, writing a review about the qualitiy of various shoe-soles without knowing anything technical about it, but just judging by my personal feel... too subjective.

I mean, sure, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but a review has to be based on facts (which are totally absent here) and be written objectively...
Even somebody who totally dislikes topre switches would've written a better review, since it would be based on facts, and not an opinion which could come from a six year old bashing around on various keyboards and then selecting an actual Yamaha keyboard as the winner, since it makes the most melodic sounds...

shIPPing

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014
You can't really comment on feel of switches in a review. Different people like different switches, so just because you don't like the feel doesn't mean it's a bad board. Also, I think it's actually quite a nice, minimalist board and they got rid of that god awful font, so that's a bonus. Overall, this review is way too objective and lacking in real information.

srslytho

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014
The irony here is that this article seems half-baked; the keyboard its pretty spot on for what it intends to offer.

woss

Estimable
Oct 26, 2014
i am using this keyboard to write now. This is most easiest typing effort keyboard for long long time typing.

i used TYPE-HEAVEN, too much efforts, push hard for each keys.

i used K70, that is difficult to type due to keys are very high outside base (look nice does not mean typing nice)

i used Razer stealth 2004, that is good, but still can not compare this NovaTouch.

i used RapidFire, that one very good.

You close your eyes typing, you type 10000 words, and then you will now your wrist, and you reach the right result.

am I right?

afsdfdsf

Estimable
Jan 5, 2015
A review based on no actual facts. The reviewer is not well informed into the world of mechanical keyboards and information relating. Topre switches are made for typing. That is the bottom line. It does not need the bells and whistles of a gaming keyboard such as back lighting and what not.

Furthermore, the fact that you put slows down typing as a con because your typing was impaired is simply unacceptable. It is technically not a con as there is no fact that it slows down typing of any user using the keyboard other than your own experience.

You also stated that the keyboard is plain. A keyboard needs to do what it was built to do and for Topre switches that is typing. It doesn't need fancy logos, lighting and macro keys. For most games, a TKL keyboard will function without requiring macros. Secondly, you would not purchase a TKL keyboard if you wanted to play MMORPG games unless you had a solution to that by using an MMO mouse.

I would to see some more objective reviews based on facts other than from one's personal experience. It should consider your experience of the keyboard, but do not use the negative experience to bash on the board simply because you did not enjoy the keyboard. That is simply unprofessional.

You stated that people should try out Topre prior to committing to the NovaTouch. I'm sorry to say but the NovaTouch is the cheapest Topre TKL type keyboard in market. The entrance level Topre Typeheaven is the cheapest but it is a full sized keyboard. Also the fact that you compared it to a red switch makes you feel like you know nothing about mechanical keyboards. The NovaTouch TKL is closer to a Cherry MX Brown keyboard rather than a red. Please do you research before making bold statements.

Furthermore, I'd like to ask you a question. What do you think is more important in actual typing; typing speed or typing accuracy?

nickm50

Estimable
Mar 1, 2015
It's actually one of the cheaper keyboards with Topre switches. I have a HHKB Pro 2 that I paid almost $300 for. So when I saw this review I almost fell off my chair. $179 is a bargain compared to most keyboards in this class; in addition, it has the unique ability to use Cherry MX replacement keycaps. That's right, the NovaTouch is the ONLY Topre keyboard that has any real customization options. And the author constantly bashed it for "looking dull". Well perhaps, but you can make it look as pretty as any other board on the market, unless of course you're looking for a backlighting option. If the author had done any research whatsoever on the NovaTouch, he would be saying some very different things; I guarantee it. I guess part of the blame is on Cooler Master for not marketing this keyboard better.

Status
Not open for further replies.