CNET Accused of Bundling Software Downloads with Trojans

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
The problem with these damn things is the average user doesn't notice the hidden check boxes or doesn't understand certain installation steps, so they next through stuff. Then they bring it to a local computer shop wondering why internet explorer is so slow. You open it up, and literally 70 percent of the screen is toolbars -- I've seen this before and it's sickening. Guarantee these people didn't know they were getting a single one. Sure, user's should be more careful, but we really shouldn't have to be when downloading from sites who already have a good source of income from other advertising.

megasamsung

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Search toolbars are obsolete. If they just switched my default search provider to bing I wouldn't really care. But when you take up my screeen with your toolbars you just piss me off

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]I clicked the link feeling skeptical, but after reading the article, that's pretty f'ed up, and I hope CNET pays for it.[/citation]

Same here. I have ALWAYS trusted CNET 100% of the time when I download... Guess I'll find somewhere else!

Very disapointing CNET....

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I HATE Cnet's new downloading tool.It's STUPID.I mean, at my college the internet is blocked for certain things, and they blocked Cnet because of that new download tool which was tricking people at the college into downloading and installing toolbars and PUP's on the workstations.Cnet is a turn off now. For me anyway.. I almost never download from there.[/citation]

I hate the new installer. Was turned off by it when I first installed a program and popped up. Since then, I hardly download anything, and very rarely anything from CNET. What a shame.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I have used CNet's Download service for years... about 10 years actually. It was trusted not to have infected files no BS... And yeah, a few months ago - I notices that when you CLICKED to download a program... you'd get a 200K installer. Which is bull.... not going to do it.

Now, CNET does offer people to download JUST the actual files by creating an account.

I just use Ninite.com when I can, I trust it more than CNET.

PS: Since I'm no longer using CNET's download to get programs, I'm also not seeing and reading their articles or reviews.

So what IDIOT came up with this? The same ones who work for AMD?

treefrog07

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Most software companies offer their free for personal use on their own websites. Sometimes you have to look around for it, e.g., AVG. Try googling the software you are seeking, then choose the ones with the manufacturer's name in the domain to find the free version.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]Downloading anything from Adobe.com quickly can get you a McAfee Toolbar and downloading the Java installer gets you an Ask.com toolbar... makes me sick!"Tooljacking" is what I call it![/citation]
Its not just that, but you can bet that Chrome's new 'larger than firefox' market share numbers mostly come from the same sort of thing. People download a utility or 'free' app, click through the setup, and BANG, there is a chrome icon on their desktops.

G

Lol, at the chrome comment by zybch. Bang now you have a browser worth using, regardless of how you got chrome it's loads safer than IE and I have never personally seen anyone complain of chrome being installed against their will.

Downloading from CNET is now taboo to say the least, fileforum.com among others are much safer.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I remember when sites like CNET, Softpedia, etc used to let you down right way. Nowadays they force you to download a "manager" which dumps spyware and trojans and the like into your PC. Can't trust these download websites anymore, they all do it.

G

It is incomprehensible that CNET could so betray their core audience as they have. CNET readers are not average users. They are computer-savvy and likely to be greatly irritated by CNET's deceptive insertion of crapware. How many times have CNET correspondents complained about crapware on the products they review? And now CNET is a purveyor of crapware!

fritzb

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
C|Net used to be a great web site. Now they are a web of deceit and the absolute worst. Please folks, avoid C|Net at all costs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.