CNet: Sony Will Be Hit a 3rd Time This Weekend

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Sony is getting what it deserves. If they had properly secured their networks and hired in-house hackers to continually find possible security vulnerabilities, like Fortune 500 companies do to protect their information, none of this would have happened. Just like the situation at the nuclear plant in Japan showed the world how lazy and illegally they were running the plant, these hackers are showing just how lazy Sony is with peoples information.

Just be glad STEAM didn't get hit, what with all these companies using STEAM as their DRM, cut access to STEAM, cut access to games

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
lol if they manage to "fornicate" SONY again, they should gtfo of the online entertainment and stick to selling TVs and radio units.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]leon12[/nom]I just wish these dumb a$$ hackers stop messing with Sony there not helping the people they said they were there hurting the players more than Sony. So F*ck off you hackers[/citation]
The hackers stealing credit card information are not the same hackers that have defended Wikileaks. It should be pretty obvious this was not their hack as that isn't what they are about.

More than likely this was a hack conducted by a group of professional hacking thieves that want people to think it was the Anonymous group.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]NobodyHere[/nom]Sony is getting what it deserves. If they had properly secured their networks and hired in-house hackers to continually find possible security vulnerabilities, like Fortune 500 companies do to protect their information, none of this would have happened. Just like the situation at the nuclear plant in Japan showed the world how lazy and illegally they were running the plant, these hackers are showing just how lazy Sony is with peoples information. Just be glad STEAM didn't get hit, what with all these companies using STEAM as their DRM, cut access to STEAM, cut access to games[/citation]
Don't be so naive to think that other major corporations don't get hacked just as bad as Sony did. The only difference between Sony's recent data leakage issues is that this information was widely publicized. Most Fortune 500 companies keep their security breeches on the down low and out of the news, this isn't easy for Sony to do because the hack included a denial of service to a widely used gaming system. How many Fortune 500 companies have a gaming network running 24/7?

bkm23

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
I wonder if MS has something to do with this, this all hack thing started after the records saying PS3 is selling more then their xbox, and thought of a way to hault Sony sales

G

Let me get this straight. They are angry about psn being down, so when it comes back up they are going to breach it and cause it to go down again? What good does this do?

G

dalethepcman:

"If this actually happens again then Sony would have a lot to answer for. There is a reason companies don't store credit card information."

This is a very good point. They shouldn't store customer's informations. It should be encrypted. But I guess it's not. Since Sony is still able to see peoples information and store it at the same time. I am so glad that I used a different type of payment... PSN card. Hehehe. I never used my card on the PSN network.

Chipi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
This is a great publicity stunt!
1. "hackers" threaten with a 3rd attack, which in reality doesn't exist
2. PSN is able to withstand the "attack"
3. customers regain some of their trust in Sony

siman0

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
[citation][nom]leon12[/nom]Siman0 what is Sony charging people for[/citation]

the bs on PSN and the stupid fact to have my ps3 repaired or upgraded i have to have a premium account to "transfer" the game data upload then download most games now cant be put on a external drive anymore.....

G

seriously if Sony can not defend themselves from a per-telegraphed attacked then that's pretty poor showing, I believe the idea is not to bring the PSN network down, the idea is to see if it can sustain a prolong attack and keep confidential information secure

@aaron88_7

and yes many companies sustain countless attacks a day and some result in a breach of the outer security, the difference is that a decent company would have employed a layered setup whereby breaching outer security does not expose sensitive information, seriously why is sensitive information so intimately linked to the PSN network, it should be on a separate system with it's own security and encrypted to high heaven, it was either damn lazy or greedy, or both

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
The group behind this seriously needs to get onto something productive. Like saving animals at your local animal shelter, not causing pain for millions of users.

AGPC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
[citation][nom]bkm23[/nom]I wonder if MS has something to do with this, this all hack thing started after the records saying PS3 is selling more then their xbox, and thought of a way to hault Sony sales[/citation] Umm NO! if they did that and we found out! they we be Ruined!!
BTW glad i got a Xbox

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Sony has been doing stuff that could get a normal person thrown in jail. (Just Google "sony rootkit") I hate that this is harming every day users, but Sony deserves it.

They don't value the average consumer's data. They treat it as a means to their ends and nothing else.

Sony makes world class products, but they are run by world class ***holes.

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
****ing nerds with nothing else better to do than to terrorize this company and steal user information. ****ing pathetic.

sdeleon515

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
To verify some of the posts because you're either too dumb and arrogant like some hackers or simply really naive but:
1) companies DO STORE CREDIT INFORMATION - as another poster put it though, Sony gets huge publicity for it due to running a 24/7 service. This has been far bigger than Wa;-mart loosing information or when a social security employee lost their laptop with millions of users info

2) no Sony isn't in a "omfg it's all them" but its at a stage where if you actually check the forums its becoming more of a trend where people are getting annoyed with hackers and all hackers are getting a bad reputation as much

3) some of these groups have to grow up and mature, homebrew'd systems have been mostly about pirating and the saying "a few rotten apples spoil the bunch" defines this scenario

4) and wtf do you get off Nobodyhere saing sh*t about "oh the tsunami pretty much showed the world how lazy and illegally" they were managing the power plant...really? no really that's pretty damn both incorrect and a arrogant display of how little you really know. So if you post something, post something you actually do know (if you know anything at all)) because you seem to be racist as well in your comments. You seem to forget that until the network suffered multiple attacks that very few companies, including Apple and google and Microsoft, and government agencies could actually either resist and avoid disruption of service that all of this information wasn't as easy to either access and steal.

I swear some of you just need to be banned form here for moronic remarks...

Status
Not open for further replies.