College Laptop Help (looking to buy)

jrnekos24

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
Hello!

The time has come, laptop upgrade. My college major has me in need of a pretty beefy laptop, and if I’m going to get one I will go all out. I am in need of a laptop that fits in the following criteria:

1. High end editing (Premiere, After Effects, 4K footage, photoshop, octane render, blender)

2. High end gaming (Pubg, beamng.drive, GTA 5, insurgency, CS:GO - at least high settings 60FPS for all)

3. Decent battery life -OR- decent charging speed

4. Quiet under low load (google chrome, Microsoft word, etc)

5. Doesn’t get hot under low load and doesn’t over heat under heavy load

6. Size - can’t be overly heavy, still needs to be somewhat portable and not super noticeable (no stupid lights or anything)

7. Screen - doesn’t have to be touch screen or 4K but if that’s an option sounds good to me. Preferably higher than 1080p

8. Storage - Decent boot speed and a decent amount of internal storage although I can use an external hard drive for larger files

9. Price - doesn’t matter, but let’s stay under $10k haha

So yeahhhhh. This might be a little difficult to come up with but I was hoping you guys could help me out with this. I was looking at the Asus Zephyrus since it seems like a pretty beefy yet good looking and portable laptop but not sure the max q 1080 will fit the bill and I’m not so sure about that keyboard layout lol. If anything isn’t clear please just let me know and I’ll clarify. If there just isn’t anything out there to fit that criteria I can maybe make some exceptions here and there but preferably that’s what I need. I can’t do a desktop because I don’t live on campus and I have to be able to bring my work with me and work on it places.

Thanks for everything guys!

Justin R. Nekos

Solution
GTX 1080 Max Q is about the top end in laptops without going too extreme (which would kill portability and battery life)

I'm not seeing too many 15" laptops with a GTX1080, usually 17.3"

Try to shoot for an i7-8750H to get the most bang for your buck.

Xoticpc carries a wide selection of laptops. Clevo or Sager are the manufacturers of high end laptops that companies like MSI/ASUS etc buy from. So you can get ones without all the fancy branding and LED crap if you want. (They also carry laptops what have desktop parts in them, but they are a little beyond portable)

I see what you mean on the Zephyrus, I'll look around a little.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
GTX 1080 Max Q is about the top end in laptops without going too extreme (which would kill portability and battery life)

I'm not seeing too many 15" laptops with a GTX1080, usually 17.3"

Try to shoot for an i7-8750H to get the most bang for your buck.

Xoticpc carries a wide selection of laptops. Clevo or Sager are the manufacturers of high end laptops that companies like MSI/ASUS etc buy from. So you can get ones without all the fancy branding and LED crap if you want. (They also carry laptops what have desktop parts in them, but they are a little beyond portable)

I see what you mean on the Zephyrus, I'll look around a little.

Solution