Colorful strips on screen

pedyspider

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
hi there
i have a vostro 1510 for about 4 years and had no problem until today.
first i saw a blue dead screen which told that there is a problem with graphic card and i had restarted the laptop. after reboot everything was okay and i've continued my work.
after some hours when leaved the laptop and when came back saw colorful strips on screen and had to restart.
now after each turn on i have the same scenario. the external display also have the same problem, i've tested with RGB cable and another monitor :(
any idea?
20120810013212.jpg

20120810013153.jpg

Solution
If you're getting the same problem duplicated on an external display, then it tells you it is the GPU. That means it's the motherboard that needs replacing, and if the laptop is out of warranty, it is probably going to be more cost effective to simply replace it. If it is under warranty however, now would be the time to be contacting Dell about getting it serviced.

cl-scott

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
If you're getting the same problem duplicated on an external display, then it tells you it is the GPU. That means it's the motherboard that needs replacing, and if the laptop is out of warranty, it is probably going to be more cost effective to simply replace it. If it is under warranty however, now would be the time to be contacting Dell about getting it serviced.

Solution

cl-scott

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012

Not on laptops. If it were a Sandy or Ivy Bridge CPU then you could probably just replace the CPU, but your system is too old for that.