Comcast Allegedly Lying About Level 3 Dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
In the end the consumer always pays for corporate and shareholder greed, so why so much fuss?

Just like why you should care about the government levying new corporate taxes. They don't pay taxes, they just pass the bill on to their consumers via higher prices.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Suddenly L3 Cripples Comcast's stranglehold by issuing a statement that soon they will be officially not supporting people using comcast's ISP. Or destroying itself.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
if they didn't have a legal monoploy i wouldn't us ethem.. come to think of it i'd love to have an option on my power/water/swer btu that won't happen either... too much old money out there that lieks how things are being run

G

But Level 3 is still sending more traffic to Comcast, then Comcast is to Level 3. They are not lying about that, or Level 3 being in a widely accepted deal where when one sides sends more traffic to another they pay them.

I really dont understand how they are trying to make Comcast out to be a bad guy for trying to go by the agreed upon terms.

Would Level 3 not be asking for Payment if traffic starts flowing their way at the same amount? I doubt it.

G

I don't understand ... Netflix is paying Lever3 to host their servers and they are paying for Traffic. Level3 is charging Comcast for uplink to comcast users (well they gain access to the internet via Level3)

Level 3 charges double in this case. Once from Netflix and once from Comcast... they are the bad guys.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I will gladly pay an extra tax if ANYONE (Level 3, or Comcast) would provide service in my area...
My options are wired DSL or rural wireless DSL (PtP wireless) or Satellite internet... or *shutters* Dial-Up. I have to use a Cell boaster to even get cell service in my area - rural internet access in the US is neglected. :(

kerbe360

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I dont get it.... Level 3 sends data to Comcast customers... that was requested by the customer.... the customer pays Comcast for that access... should Comast start charging more for those using Xbox Live or PSN... those demos are getting bigger and bigger. Its true it does cost Comcast more to provide the bandwidth for all its customers but thats the price of doing business. You got a huge customer base... congrats... now deal with it. I guess the company would rather not raise the price for their already expensive service and charge someone else so they can charge more for that service. Should that also be the cost of doing business? In the end, when corporations open their hands for more money the customer almost always gets screwed....

chuenl

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Level 3 does not sends data to Comcast customers on their own. It is Comcast subscribers who request video to be delivered to them from Level 3. The bandwidth has already been paid for by Comcast subscribers.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Level 3 is a backbone provider, one of the largest by far. The CDN agreement with Netflix has no real relevance in this really. If Netflix had an agreement with another CDN like EdgeCast then Comcast would still be getting the same amount of data requested by THEIR customers. It may come from different sources, but it is still data that THEIR customers are requesting to have delivered to them.

Let’s assume for arguments sake and simplicity that Netflix CDN agreement is with EdgeCast and they have an agreement with L3 to be their provider of bandwidth (this may or may not be true). Who is Comcast going to try to extort to protect their video revenues now?

Are they going to go to:
Netflix and say our customers (Comcast eyeballs) are requesting too much data from you so you must pay us?
EdgeCast and say our customers (Comcast eyeballs) are requesting too much data from your customer (Netflix) so you must pay us?
L3 and say your customer (EdgeCast) has a customer (Netflix) that our customers (Comcast Eyeballs) are requesting too much data, you must pay us?

Now let’s replace Netflix with Hulu, Google, Microsoft, Vonage, Skype, or any other possible company out there that may have packets that Comcast customers want delivered to them. You see where this is going?

It really doesn't matter as in all cases the traffic is 100% being requested by Comcast customers. Level 3's request for more "ports" to connect to Comcast customers was to satisfy the eyeball customer’s request of Comcast, not Level 3's. If Comcast wants to limit the bandwidth being utilized by their customers because they are watching Netflix then maybe they should block Netflix or stop accepting ALL traffic from L3.

The reason they won’t do a single one of those things I mention above is because ALL of them (demanding money to deliver traffic or blocking/throttling traffic) are clearly a violation of the principles of net neutrality. They are trying to disguise this as a peering agreement. The only way this would be relevant would be if Comcast signed NetFlix as a CDN and L3 was demanding money from them.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]chuenl[/nom]Level 3 does not sends data to Comcast customers on their own. It is Comcast subscribers who request video to be delivered to them from Level 3. The bandwidth has already been paid for by Comcast subscribers.[/citation]
+1 and a cookie first prize goes to you sir.
see people, he gets it, what comcast is REALLY trying to do is to kill netflix for competeing against COMCASTS cable tv service, which is now as outdated and worthless as the music and movie industries marketing.

charlie_m

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Letting Comcast buy NBC was a huge mistake, ala standard oil and the railroad business. It seems we are entering a new era of super-monopolies; I wish Obama was a trust-buster.

G

After the worst customer service in my lifetime- I just cancelled Comcast cable. Then waited in line for an hour to return my DVR, and was told there was a $45 charge for "change of service." I still get my internet thru Comcast, as I have no other option for internet usage, but as soon as another provider enters this market, I'm gone. Comcast must think it has a monopoly with the high fees and lousy customer service.

G

There is a solution, look to fibernet in monsanto MN. They created their own fiber optic internet. The carved their own line to the backbone and they pay fantastic prices, for a 20/20 line they pay 35 dollars a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.