Comcast Refusing Subpoenas Over Alleged BitTorrent Pirates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Demanding they use legal processes? Amazing.
This Wiley & Sons is the "for Dummies" publisher, who torrented their stuff anyway?
I guess they'll need to rewrite the "Make Money through Legal Threats for Dummies" book now.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
[citation][nom]lolcomcast[/nom]Comcast is only doing this because it's costing them money to police the internet for the RIAA/MPAA. As soon as these agencies are willing to pay for your information, I'm sure comcast will have no problems handing it over.[/citation]

In all of the copyright law revisions these companies have pushed, even the ones they spent $185,000 per Congressman (if it'd been divided evenly) over 3 months driving, not one has addressed the overhead and administrative costs of their plans. They feel entitled anyway, movie producers get all sorts of "incentives" and tax credits for filming, they're used to getting something for nothing.

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don't know how it works other places ,but where I live every time I reboot my modem I get a different IP address. So if thet submitted their subpeona today it could point to me since I rebooted my modem this morning and recieved a new IP address.
I have had 3 differnt IP addresses in the past 2 days due to thunderstorms taking out the power.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Rick_Criswell[/nom]Don't know how it works other places ,but where I live every time I reboot my modem I get a different IP address. So if thet submitted their subpeona today it could point to me since I rebooted my modem this morning and recieved a new IP address.I have had 3 differnt IP addresses in the past 2 days due to thunderstorms taking out the power.[/citation]

They keep logs that include a time stamp so they know who was connected at that time.

Comcast +1

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
My family's mentality: "If people can't manage their own IP addresses, it's their fault. They deserve to be punished even if they didn't commit the crime."

Me: "Um, our wireless network doesn't have any encryption..."

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
sounds like comcast is putting a big go f' themselves in the courts face after the DOJ is looking into anti trust issues on the data caps netflix and hulu have accused comcast and other internet companies offering video service exempt from the data cap

also didn't a federal judge already rule IP does not constitute guilt as some one parked out on the street can d/l stuff from your wireless network. the pass word for most peoples home network is pretty easy to figure out my neighbors for example (yes i have my own faster internet) orchestra network , they have a piano and a cello, wasn't hard to figure out the p/w gee.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
I'm not saying that those companies trying to sue potential copyright infringers are good, but I can empathize with them. I mean, could you imagine working hard on something just to have your potential benefits from it taken away? It could be either taking advantage of the system or an act of desperation, to not catch all of them but at least try and catch some hopefully.

It's sad that this injustice (piracy) is one that is easily committed and is one that easily pays off without much fear of not getting away with it. :-( This wouldn't be an issue in the first place if so many people didn't pirate in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.