Comcast: Same Old Story, But 250 GB Cap Now Official

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaycop

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I can not believe the FCC is going to let them do this. It is completely unfair and is going to allow the cable companies a way to stop the use of online video services. This will essentially set a president that will allow more and more ISPs to restrict your usage so you must use their Television service too. Also allowing them to throttle your connection whenever they deem necessary could stop you from streaming HD video from your internet connection so that you will more likely to use their HD services. If comcaste is not able to fulfill the demand of their paying customers they should have to lower their advertised speeds to what they can actually handle.

sdcaliceli

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
Comcast is just pure crap. With this in effect, other ISP's will tag along to place "caps" on bandwidth as well. This is going to create a new profit segment for them - low end under the cap and unlimited usage at outrageous prices. Total BS.

G

thank god i don't use comcast. this is bull shit... "Comcast said that a typical user on its network currently uses a bandwidth of about 2 GB per month." come on now gamers will use way more than the 250gb of bandwidth they provide.

jaywalker256

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Ok, I've used comcast for about the last 3 years, and I dont know why everyone is bitching about the cap. The article even stated that the cap has been in place even when we didnt know about it.... and nobody bitched about it then because very few people exceeded that cap. The other comments here saying that they wont be able to stream videos and gamers will over use the bandwidth and such.... seriously, think about what you're saying. Are you really going to watch 4 movies a day? And gamers... Im a gamer myself, and trust me, you wont even touch this cap unless you have games running 24/7.... Everyone is overreacting to this... its not really a big deal.

jaycop

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Way to bend over and take it jaywalker256. It is no unreasonable to watch 4 movies or the equivalent in tv shows online a day with a family of 3 or more people. One thing you have missed is that they said 124 "STANDARD DEFINITION MOVIES." A lot of content online is HD not standard definition! So that 250gb can go faster than you think.

Eggrenade

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
I've used Comcast for about a year and it's been great. However, my Dad says that our bandwidth usage is not on the bill, so it seems unreasonable to limit something that we can't measure.

ThePatriot

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Appearantly USA ISP's can't match the European ISP's, where high bandwidth is 24Mbps with NO cap, and they are a lot cheaper too.

G

Exactly Eggrenade, I called them today and complained that they should at least give customers access to their bandwidth usage by logging in online like cell phone companys do. I don't like the cap, but even worse is to give me a fast car without a speedometer. Everyone that feels the same way should call them and speak up.

G

Exactly Eggrenade, I called them today and complained that they should at least give customers access to their bandwidth usage by logging in online like cell phone companys do. I don't like the cap, but even worse is to give me a fast car without a speedometer. Everyone that feels the same way should call them and speak up.

nc3780

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
I just wanna say I'm glad I don't use comcast. If you are using it by yourself it may be ok but with multiple users on one line 250gb is not enough at all. With all the streaming and downloading that goes on in my home I'm glad Time Warner hasn't cut me off.

I hope you guys on Comcast can find an alternative even if it's not as fast.

G

They haven't changed the cap, just revealed what the cap has always been.

Do you think it should be unlimited? That would cripple Comcast's local loops and neighbors of people who use too much bandwidth would see severe problems with their service.

I certainly don't agree with everything Comcast (or any company) does, but bandwidth caps on *cable* internet is something that is needed at this time.

If you want unlimited bandwidth, get an OC-3 to your house or something.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]ThePatriot[/nom]Appearantly USA ISP's can't match the European ISP's, where high bandwidth is 24Mbps with NO cap, and they are a lot cheaper too.[/citation]
Europe's ISP's,in general,totally SUCK ass.

I would NOT go there for good internet,unless you maybe count SOME of Sweden.South Korea and Japan is where the faster and cheaper internet is...If I needed a fuck load of speed,I would just ask my local fiber installer to give me 500 megabytes of bandwidth(yes,bytes,not bits)Wait.That would cost like,over a thousand dollars.With installation.

G

lol, silly Americans, let me give you some perspective. Here in South Africa the fastest line you get is 4mb (if it actually gets that high as its upto 4mbits) at a cost of R413 which is at about R7.50 to $1 is about $55. Thats for just the line, now we need to buy the data at ~R70-80 a gig. Typical cap is 3gigs so if you were to come on down here and try get a 250 gig cap would cost you... $2166 if we going at R65 per gig.65*250 / 7.5.

So why don't you get over it and enjoy it.

G

This isn't the middle of Nowhere, Africa. This is the U.S. we invented the dang thing, we should have the best, not be ranked 26th.

The fact of the matter is this: technology changes quickly. This is not a policy ment for TODAY, but TOMORROW. When very high speed connections (10mb+) become common, and most of the users are younger generations that have never known a time without the internet, we will see what this is for.

Eight years ago I had a computer with a 6 gig hard drive and 56k modem.
I could load a text page quickly and that was about it. I doubt I would pass 50megabytes a month of usage.

Now I have terrabyte hard drives and a fast cable connection.
I can download full movies/music with realative ease. I use probably around 100-200 gigabytes a month.

In eight more years I'm sure I will have petabyte drives and fiberoptic internet. And I guarantee you, I will be using WAY more then 250 gigs.

But I can promise that that 250 gig cap won't be increased to compensate.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Ive been using Comcast for the last few years and never had a problem and I know I have gone WAY over their 250cap if its always been in place. Giganews keeps a monthly tally of my downloads. I just logged in and checked my last 6mo and Ive been over 300gb/mo and thats just what I got from newsgroups. Also on Tuesday I queued up 400+gb on the Newsgroups. It finished last night. I expect to be getting one of those calls any day now.

sunny321

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
250gb !!
well, canada's rogers AT&T only offer me 70gb per month
and every gb i exceed will charge $2 CAD.
so, that BS is better than my BS.....

G

Wel, in Africa we have a cap of 3GB its more like 7 USD per GB... Oh with a bandwidth of 1-4MB/s, most ppl here have 384Kb/s adsl, with 3GB limit... And yes its lots more expensive as to what americans pay..

billmee

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
in ontario canada i use cogeco.ca cable company - 100gb limit - then they send bandwidth abuse warning letters - if you don't stop, they suspened your service - i've lost mine for a day. but in my area there is no alternitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.