Question Compaq CQ58

Jan 21, 2020
Compaq CQ58 power light keeps blinking and I've already bought a new charger and battery and it is still blinking and won't power on. I've even tried taking the battery out holding the power button for a minute plugging it in without the battery and still blinking light....Am I screwed?

If you bought an aftermarket charger and/or battery they may not work correctly and still cause it to do nothing.

Blinking can be for a number of things. The motherboard being dead, the display, cheap parts (as mentioned above), etc.

You can try seeing what the blinks are. Are they steady and no pattern? Or is there a pattern to them. If there is a pattern, then I would suggest looking it up through the manufacturer to see what it refers to. Many laptops blink in a patter (or beep in a pattern) to show what the problem is.

If you get nowhere with that, then you are going to have to have it looked at. Either by the manufacturer (if still under warranty) or by a local tech.

Jan 21, 2020
If you bought an aftermarket charger and/or battery they may not work correctly and still cause it to do nothing.

Blinking can be for a number of things. The motherboard being dead, the display, cheap parts (as mentioned above), etc.

You can try seeing what the blinks are. Are they steady and no pattern? Or is there a pattern to them. If there is a pattern, then I would suggest looking it up through the manufacturer to see what it refers to. Many laptops blink in a patter (or beep in a pattern) to show what the problem is.

If you get nowhere with that, then you are going to have to have it looked at. Either by the manufacturer (if still under warranty) or by a local tech.
No just consistent blinks and I bought them from eBay but I did look on the battery for the proper info but no they are not the originals or from the manufacturer. I do however have a warranty on the battery but it was doing the same thing with the manufacturer battery to.