Compaq Laptop IS NOT BOOTING PAST SPLASH SCREEN NEED HELP

dpsso

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
Hey guys,
Ive been having a strange problem with my laptop and now its not able to boot anymore.

Its a Compaq Presario CQ61 110-SA. I bought it a few years ago.

Basically one night I was using my laptop and I decided to put it on hibernate.
Then, when I next turned it on it was at the bootscreen and it said "Resuming Windows" and I took a CD out as it was loading.
Then there was just a black screen. So I turned it off and tried again. This time it stayed at the boot logo screen and didnt move at all. I tried many times but it wouldnt work, I tried going to BIOS settings but it took way too long to load. Whenever I press the button to go into BIOS it says "BIOS setup loading..." but nothing happens it just stuck at the bootscreen with the COMPAQ logo.
I also tried hard reset but that didnt work either.

I posted this on HP support forums and they said it might be related to BIOS but the support is terrible (as usual with HP) and I hardly ever get a reply.

Can anyone help me with this?
Quick replies would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Solution

with the info you gave, it was a productive answer. yea power down and remove the HARD DRIVE.
if you cant get to bios after that you can try to reset the bios. you need to find the battery for the bios, pull it out wait few mins. reinsert. you are kinda at a spot where you need a tech. there is also a CLEAR CMOS jumper somewhere on the board. have to look that up to find it.

dpsso

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

Didnt you read? I said I cant access any screens and I dont have anything plugged in, please give a productive answer.

Could either be an issue with the hard drive or the controller (not sure if yours is IDE or SATA). If the drive and/or the controller chip is faulty, that would cause the system to hang during POST.

Try pulling the hard drive out while the system is shut off and then fire it back up once it's out. If the system continues to hang, chances are the problem is with the system board or the BIOS; neither of which you can easily fix.

dr fulton

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

with the info you gave, it was a productive answer. yea power down and remove the HARD DRIVE.
if you cant get to bios after that you can try to reset the bios. you need to find the battery for the bios, pull it out wait few mins. reinsert. you are kinda at a spot where you need a tech. there is also a CLEAR CMOS jumper somewhere on the board. have to look that up to find it.

Solution

akash986

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
May be, some components of your laptop is being removed and some new components from the operating system that is stored in your cd, may takes place.

so there is not any problem in laptop screen. you have to install new operating system.
laptop screens

Tandrus

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
I had the same problem and found that my bios was corrupt. hp/ Compaq has a download for the bios to reflash to a working bios I installed from within windows7. not sure if you can install from a cd or thumb drive on boot up.