Compaq Presario CQ-56 Turn's Off Randomly?

thomasd221

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hi there, someone just bought me a Presario CQ-56 to work on, it has an intermittent fault, sometimes it won't turn on at all, the fans spin but nothing shows up on screen, and sometimes it turns on, but after some time it will switch off and you need to leave it before switching it back on.

It's not the hard drive or RAM, I just ran a scan of Memtest 86, came back fine, so now i'm left thinking 3 things, bad windows install, bad motherboard or a overheating CPU.

Specs:

AMD V140 @2.3GHz
2GB DDR3 PC10600 Ram
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

The problem is the laptop won't stay on long enough for me to do troubleshooting. Any ideas? :)

Cheers! :)

Solution
Hi,
If the issue is heat how hot dose the chassis get can you touch it or does if feel way hotter than it should? If so than I would give all the vents a good blast of air. In the event that that dose not help you at all try to get your hands on a quick tech disk and preform all the motherboard tests. it might find the fault you can not see.

GunnTech

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Hi,
If the issue is heat how hot dose the chassis get can you touch it or does if feel way hotter than it should? If so than I would give all the vents a good blast of air. In the event that that dose not help you at all try to get your hands on a quick tech disk and preform all the motherboard tests. it might find the fault you can not see.

Solution

thomasd221

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Thanks for your reply! Turns out the laptop was overheating even when I cleaned it out, the laptop rebooted and said, thermal shutdown occurred, the laptop was shut down due to overheating to prevent further damage. I have given the laptop back to them and they are going to get it repaired by a professional as I didn't feel too confident working on it, you have to take the whole keyboard/top assembly off. :)

GunnTech

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013

Awesome ! now keep in mind all the work that should be done is taking apart the laptop and cleaning /re pasting the heat-sink. the Tech that is working on it might also test the fan to be sure that it is spinning properly (at the right rpm to accurately move heat to be expelled) I hope all goes well sir.