compaq presario cq62 22ea cpu upgrade from (intel celeron 900) to (amd phenom II n930) has this been succesfully done before

dj_1995

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
im trying to upgrade my laptop cpu as already stated in question i have spent ALOT of time cross referencing statistics, motherboard/cpu specs, socket types, compatibility and i would really appreciate some help with this ive been through dozens of sites and the information on most of them doesn't match up and its driving me to more confusion than clarity in this quest. So to somewhat some things up im experiencing conflicts in information and cant seem to find just one site that compares all necessary information so jumping between sites has been my only option, if anyone knows anything this particular upgrade please shed some light on the situation. ((NOTE HP SERVICE MANUAL has been of no use as there are two versions ive found and there is ALOT of conflict of information between the two)) HUGGGEE TIA!!!!!

Solution
You aren't going to find a site dedicated to these two variants with the details you desire.

If that particular Presario model had both Intel and AMD variants, then you should be able to swap out the Celeron based motherboard for the Phenom based motherboard.

Honestly though, unless this planned swap is free, I wouldn't spend any money making this change. The performance improvement is not going to be significant. Not even worth the bother.

Instead, the money would be better saved for a newer system altogether.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You aren't going to find a site dedicated to these two variants with the details you desire.

If that particular Presario model had both Intel and AMD variants, then you should be able to swap out the Celeron based motherboard for the Phenom based motherboard.

Honestly though, unless this planned swap is free, I wouldn't spend any money making this change. The performance improvement is not going to be significant. Not even worth the bother.

Instead, the money would be better saved for a newer system altogether.

Solution

dj_1995

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Thanks for the quick reply and i'd actually just came across that as i was reading up a little more on AMD and Intel CPU's, i had just found that the motherboard wouldn't be compatible with an AMD CPU. I had used one of the hp manuals that only listed AMD processors when i first decided to upgrade the CPU and just went with the best one out of the list not realising that the two manuals are for the two different types of motherboards which explains alot (rookie mistake) so thanks for the clarification on that topic i will focus on supported Intel CPU's, I am running windows 7 ultimate with 4GB ram and 2GHz single core processor but i want to play around with virtualization and Linux distro's like Kali so my plan was to find a multi core CPU that supports virtualization and up the ram to 8GB.
I definitely wont be swapping out motherboards, that as you said would just be a waste of time and money but i do know that upgrading the CPU can be fairly easy and I've been able to find cheap CPU's on eBay so i will go with that for now.

Thanks again for the quick reply.