Comparing a 5 year old Inspirion 8200 to a better new laptop from dell

JackieBond

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Hello
I am intrested in upgrading currently have a 5 year old Insprion I want to buy the current top of the line simmilar to that

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
whats your budget?
whats ur preferred screen size?
preferred battery life?
are u gonna play games on it? which ones?
do you car about backlit keyboards?
what screen resolution do u want?
should it be thin and light?
what optical drive should it have?

answer the questions above and i can help you pick the laptop u need!

JackieBond

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010

I would preferr to stay under $1700,
size of screen at least the same as the Insprion 8200 I have or bigger
the longer the better
no it is not for games it is mostly for work/blogging /research/emails
backlit keyboards sounds nice
thin & light would be ideal
optical drive have no idea what that is.
look forward to your feedback. Thank you in advance

MDM5280

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
So, in other words, you want a MacBook? :)

About $1700
15' inch screen
7 hour battery life
Perfect for what you need to do
Has a backlit keyboard
Thin and light
And a DVD drive
Also looks sexy at doing simple task

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
For what you want, a macbook pro is pretty much the best (yes, i actually mean THE BEST) buy you can get. Dell does not come close to the quality of apple. Furthermore, most laptops are very very chunky compared to the thinness(.95 inches thin compared to over 1.3 inch from dell) and lightness (5.5 pounds compared to 6.5 or 7 pounds from other companies. The Dell Studio 15 is a good option, but rest assured that you're missin out big time for your budget. And don't be fooled by the 'core i3' promised in Dells. The core 2 duo in the Macbook pro has the exact same capabilities. And for work/blogging /research/emails, you cannot go wrong with a Mac. Dells, on the other hand, provide Blu-Ray capabilities not available on a Mac. It's not good to stay locked with one specific brand :/. I used to buy dells, and I own 3 dells. I bought my first Mac, and decided to never buy a Dell again.

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
and optical drive is the cd/ dvd/ blu ray drive. you were supposed to pick which one you need. (remember that watching bluray on a 15 inch screen is really really useless unless you connect it to your computer.)

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

nein.. das geht nicht...ich denke er mochtest ein 'thin und light' notebook. mit 16 zoll es geht nicht, und der VAIO F ist 4.5 kilo oder so was. der macbook ist 2 kilo lol

sorry for the german. he is recommending the VAIO F (which I also have) and that is not mean for thin and light users. its a gaming device. the best thing you an get without going mac is the VAIO Z, which boots windows faster than a speeding bullet. the asus n61ja is also GREAT.

but seirously, macbook pro beats all of these by a longshot. i can assur you. i review laptops lol.

JackieBond

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Thank you for everyones help I ended up with a Dell Studio 1557. I like the security of having the Dell Support via phone as well as on line. Thank you again for everyone's valuable input.