Comparison

Captain_Dimak

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Hello, internet!

I'm looking for a new computer and my budget is *very* low. I'm looking at about $600, but I want to have gaming capability. I've been looking around and I've found two so far that fit what I'm wanting:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4904406&CatId=4935

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215662

These both seem to be very capable computers at a very good price. The tigerdirect one has more features, like a blu-ray drive, but I don't really need those. The big draw on the acer is the graphics card, but what I want to know is if it's worth it? Or is the 3rd generation integrated graphics better?

I'm not looking to play Skyrim or anything like that, but I'm hoping to play Source games, Minecraft, and the like on relatively high settings.

Any suggestions? I don't want to buy refurbished or used.

Captain_Dimak

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Oops.

I see the formatting in the stickies now, I just posted this from the sidebar in another section. Here goes the list:

1. What is your budget?

About $600

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Doesn't have to be great. 1366x768 is fine.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

I need a light gaming machine that won't break my back.

5. How much battery life do you need?

not much at all... I can always buy an after-market battery as well.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I plan to play low-medium level games such as Source games and Minecraft. No Skyrim machinations here.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

I plan to hopefully do some video editing with it (lightworks) but nothing too heavy.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

<500GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Nothing specific, but nothing obscure either. Stick to something largish like Newegg or TigerDirect.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Until it breaks, hopefully.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

At minimum a DVD/CD reader and writer.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I don't have any large preferences brand-wise, but I would prefer one of the larger brands simply because of the larger support base.

13. What country do you live in?

The lower 48 US.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I would prefer a 3rd gen i5, and I don't want to buy refurbished or used.

Sinistrus

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
It's a tough call...

I'm personally a fan of Asus, and that comes with 6gb ram, and a bigger hd. But the integrated gpu is garbage.

The acer is probably going to be your better bet for playing games, just because of the gpu. But I really don't like the 4gb of ram.

Good luck!