'Completely Mechanical' Phone to Hit Retail

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhughes81

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Cool phone but not for $300k. What happens when you drop it? Just something for the rich snobs to show off, move along folks.

adaman2576

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Some might say, why do this? It costs way too much and will break very easily. That might be so but, sometimes people don't need a reason to do things. Engineering innovations sometimes come when someone does something just because they want to. I personally think this is an amazing feet of engineering and is "pretty sweet looking" if I might say so.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
"world's first completely mechanical cell phone"....Really?
And how is the lcd screen, or the "chips" mechanical?
It's a mechanical watch inside a cellphone. Whoopty Doo.
$300,000. Are you serious? Who is the genious who comes up with this crap? It's like the gold and diamond tv. Just some dude's get rich quick scheme. No phone/ watch, does enough to be worth that price. Anyone who spends that much on something that does so little, has 1. to much money, and 2. should have there head examined. I'm not an itouch lover, but I'd seriously pay 300,000 for a regular ipod before I'd buy this. Mechanical movements are an old technology. Basically they are paying for a fad.

Here is an idea, the world is in an economic crysis, how about donating some of your money to people who actually need it, you know like people who are starving and can't afford food.

G

"A dream that embraces a concept that is still impossible today but may one day come true: an entirely mechanical cellphone!"

Quoted from here:
http://www.celsius-x-vi-ii.com/en/news/texte/the-vision/

300k for a phone that you will never be able to set into Silent mode...

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
by a machanical mechanism and a dymo you can power an LCD screen, microchips and all the things normal cellphones have this is definately possible

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
On the positive side, a mechanical cellphone would be useful under nuclear war or major catastrophe conditions...

On the negative side, just thinking of Apple's mechanical iPhone or even iPad gives me a headache!

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]darkguset[/nom]On the positive side, a mechanical cellphone would be useful under nuclear war or major catastrophe conditions...[/citation]That's ridiculous. What about the infrastructure? What about radiation's effect on your signal, or on the person making a phone call? Most important of all, if these are the only working phones, who the heck are you going to call? Your fellow billionares tycoons?

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
Besides, it is quite obvious from looking at their press release that it is not completely mechanical.

"Celsius X VI II reinvents micromechanical applications by going beyond the established watchmaking framework in place for the past five centuries in order to create an astonishing new symbiotic relationship with microelectronics."

Symbiotic relationship with microelectronics indicates pretty clearly to me that this is a hybrid, possibly even just a cell phone with a fancy watch. The part where they mention a completely mechanical cell phone is at the bottom, where they say:

"A dream that embraces a concept that is still impossible today but may one day come true: an entirely mechanical cellphone!"

In other words, we embrace this concept of a completely mechanical cell phone, but it is impossible. So keep dreaming! In the meantime, buy our overpriced cellphone + mechanical watch! It's rare, so its worth every penny. Just like our limited edition Gold

G

so does it run on batteries, or kinetic like those "shake-a-watch"?
It'd be cool if it runs on kinetic power...

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]That's ridiculous. What about the infrastructure? What about radiation's effect on your signal, or on the person making a phone call? Most important of all, if these are the only working phones, who the heck are you going to call? Your fellow billionares tycoons?[/citation]

What infrastructure? This is a satellite phone and satellites are still happily orbiting, so what is your problem exactly? There is only one person i need to call: "Beam me up Scotty..."

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]darkguset[/nom]What infrastructure? This is a satellite phone and satellites are still happily orbiting, so what is your problem exactly? There is only one person i need to call: "Beam me up Scotty..."[/citation]

I don't think that satellite phones talking to each other run directly through satellites. They would be routed through a ground based station.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Completely mechanical...

I presume they mean "no batteries". You wind it and it is "powered" mechanically.

Can't imagine the radio, screen, etc being "mechanical"

Status
Not open for further replies.