Compressor for blow out the dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

oveeseregor

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Hi...
I need a help, i want to blow out the dust out of my laptop.. Can i use compressor to blow out the dust, or vacuum cleaner, since i have difficulties in finding can of compressed air, and its easy for me for just using compressor because there is a body shop in near my home....
Is there any bad things happen if i using compressor or mini vacuum??

Thank you in advance!

Solution

Hi :)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Do NOT use a garage compressor , much too much pressure....you WILL damage something...

All the best Brett :)

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I use a vaccuum on my PC all the time. Just don't actually touch any of the parts in there when you do it.

If you use a compressor I would be careful about how hard you blow. Not sure what kind of PSI is appropriate but I wouldnt exceed what a can of compressed air can put out.

p.s. and if you use a can of compressed air be careful not to blow in the same place too long -- it will create a cold/wet spot and that would be very bad for the PC.

Hi :)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Do NOT use a garage compressor , much too much pressure....you WILL damage something...

All the best Brett :)

Solution

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
I have an air storage tank with an air nozzle and use it all the time on my computers. You can always get a pressure valve for the air tank but controlling pressure using the nozzle is easy enough. Air storage tanks are available at Sears and some auto supply stores for $30 or so and beat buying cans of air for $6or $10 ea. Most tire shops will let you fill up your air tank for free, if not try the next tire shop.

1foxracing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Yes you can use a regular garage compressor. Just turn down the pressure with the regulator to around 20PSI and all will be fine. I have done this for over 15 years and have never had a problem.

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Using a compressor is fine, even without a pressure regulator to reduce the pressure. Just keep it a few feet away and have at it. You just don't want to get too close under high pressure to components on the motherboard or you might damage something. If you are clumsy put a regulator on it and drop it to like 50psi and go to it. Regulators are cheap, however most decent compressors already have them installed.

Using a vacuum is foolish. You can get lucky for a long time but it only takes one ESD in the wrong place and your PC will either degrade slowly over time (which is usually what happens) or die instantly. I've looked at the end of a vacuum hose while it is turned on under a special camera that lets you see the static charge and the end looked like a lightning storm. I wouldn't want that within 3 ft of my PC.

oveeseregor

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

When i blow should i hold the fan? Because i read it somewhere that i should hold the fan so the fan won't get damaged..

oveeseregor

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

I saw yesterday there was a mini vacuum. Is it good?

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

Yea that wouldn't hurt, While I have never had any issues I try to avoid letting the fans spin too fast. Some say it can damage the bearings if the RPM goes too high.

joemama069

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
At my shop we blow machines out at 60 psi, never had a problem and it will make that baby look like new. and with the fan thing, i try to held them, but it doesnt matter, you arent going to hurt the bearing unless you have the air on it for like 5 minutes lol

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
I have used a compressor for years to clean out my computers. Just don't get the nozzle too close. I actually prefer them to cans. You get a lot more pressure to help the job along, and you don't get all the nasty chemicals.

I had a BFG 8800GTX once. When cleaning it out with even a can of compressed air, if you got the fan spinning it would generate a current and light up the LEDs on the card. Probably not the best idea to back feed the card with current generated from a motor like that, but it was still neat.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005

The guys that do ours at work use a small compressor, I use a small compressor, before I got the compressor, used the garage, held the the air at a distance. The geeksquad do our work computers with a small compressor, I have no issues using garage or the small compressor. Make sure you drain the tank after every use. IMPORTANT NOTICE, WHEN BLOWING OUT YOUR DUST ALWAYS USE A DUSTMASK, THE DUST CONTAINS PCB.

daship

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I use air compressor all the time. I use high pressure 60psi + i always put a cloth over the nossle to catch any water/oil, and use a few feet away.

Vaccums create static, I would never use a vaccum. I worked in a factory that used vaccums to transfer the plastic powder we used, it made so much static it would shoot off mini lightnig blts if it wasn't grounded proper. A vaccum could also easily suck a jumper off and you might never realize it.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2004/06/3846.ars

Toxic dust" found on computer processors and monitors contains chemicals linked to reproductive and neurological disorders, according to a new study by several environmental groups...

I was told this in school, this was mostly PCB in PSU transformers, howevery this link explains more what is taught to kids nowadays and the smart wonz wear mask. :hello:

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I do this all the time with a compressor. i just stand back a foot or so, and don't blow full force on the components. as long as you keep a good distance your fine, and it works gereat. I take my computers out to my shop and do this a couple of times a year to each one. been doing it for years. never a problem. Again though, i point out....that you must maintain a foot or two away with the output. Don't get too close, or yes....damage is very likely.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
Thanx for the link, gomer. From an article published 6 years ago (that's the date on the article, 'from an article published 6 yrs ago'). Last post was made on 2004.
And the polar bears are dying, the seas are rising an AlGore is a BIG Fat Liar!
The arctic pipeline also killed all the moose.

Status
Not open for further replies.