weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
Hello all,
First of all, I'd like to state that this will be a long post. This problem has been evolving for a few months now.

So, a little while back I had a problem where I couldn't access Tom's Hardware thanks to an error 504 that seemed to be only blocking me out. Other users had experienced the error as well, but were able to get past it by refreshing the page. In my case, I couldn't access the site at all for a few days. Here's the link if you want it for a reference.

Throughout that post, I learned that I as a client have no control of what happens between me and the destination (in this case www.tomshardware.com) and that the error was out of my control. After some time, the error became less and less common until I simply stopped seeing it altogether. So that post seems to be resolved, unless another user picks up and continues the conversation.

Some time after that, something rather strange happened. Here's the link to my post about YouTube wanting me to download a file.

Just today, I've had another potential internet access/security issue. I was browsing the LinusTechTips forums, ended up not finding a post that touched on the subject I wanted to talk about and just created a new post on their forum. What ended up happening is that right after I posted my thread on the LTT forums, my music stopped. I had it playing through Google Play Music on my browser so I switched to that tab to see that it couldn't load any songs, and when I tried to change albums it simply couldn't load anything. I tried to search Google to see if anyone else had the same issue. What ended up happening is that Google wouldn't load. In fact, nothing would load. Firefox would just say "Unable to connect to server" and wouldn't load no matter how many times I checked my spelling and clicked refresh. At this point, I tried Microsoft Edge instead of Firefox. I ended up not being able to do anything on there either. At this point, I'm wondering if I'm even connected to the internet. I pulled out my phone which is connected to a wireless router connected via Ethernet to my Comcast Modem. Please note that my computer is also connected via Ethernet, directly to the Comcast Modem. My phone loaded live data on the Google app, played YouTube videos and played online music through Google Play Music. At this point, I realized that the issue had to be within my computer itself. I mean, it's very rare that Ethernet cables just fail so that wasn't on the top of my list of things to check.

At this point, I checked the network icon on my Taskbar (I have Windows 10) and it showed a little yellow icon that was too small to see what shape it was. I clicked the icon, the menu that appeared was blank. I clicked away to close the menu, right-clicked the network icon and hit Troubleshoot Problems and was presented with Windows Network Diagnostics. It ran for a minute or so, then went ahead an reset my Ethernet adapter. At this point, the troubleshooter looked for new problems and didn't find any. It then presented me with the results of the troubleshooter's efforts. It said "The default network gateway is not available. Not solved." At this point, I turned the computer off for five minutes then turned it back on. I wasn't really sure what good this would do, but at least it would clear RAM and start fresh. When it started up, I noticed that the network icon on the Taskbar now had a little red X over it. I clicked on it and it says "No connections are available." At this point, I checked Device Manager to find a white symbol in the bottom left of the Ethernet controller's icon. I clicked it and hit properties. It reported "This device is disabled" so I turned it on. Now I'm online, YAY!

This last one was a bit tricky for me, I've never had a device turn itself off before. What could have caused this behavior? Is there a way to prevent it?

Thanks in advance to all that help offer their help.

-Darren

Solution
Agreeing with turkey3_scratch.

I have Comcast/Xfinity also. Always seem that weird things happen and then just go away. "Gremlins"....

You might find some information in your router and modem logs if the logs are available and enabled. But my sense is that there is less and less visibility and even end user control over what we can do with ISP provided devices.

And the ISPs seem quite pre-deposed to blaming any issue on our devices; especially that modems and routers we own and use. ISP equipment firmware updates can change things without our knowledge or agreement (sans the fine print in the End User Agreement). Wonder about firmware on other components as well. All in the name of "end user experience" or "security".

And...

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
This sounds like the crap I deal with everyday when it comes to Internet. Though my issues were always on wireless not wired so I'm not exactly sure. Linux, phones, everything else always has better connection to the Internet versus a Windows machine for me. I've had that yellow icon before, I've had it where it says it's connected yet there is still a "connect" button, as if it's not actually connected. Weird crap happens all the time to be honest.

Agreeing with turkey3_scratch.

I have Comcast/Xfinity also. Always seem that weird things happen and then just go away. "Gremlins"....

You might find some information in your router and modem logs if the logs are available and enabled. But my sense is that there is less and less visibility and even end user control over what we can do with ISP provided devices.

And the ISPs seem quite pre-deposed to blaming any issue on our devices; especially that modems and routers we own and use. ISP equipment firmware updates can change things without our knowledge or agreement (sans the fine print in the End User Agreement). Wonder about firmware on other components as well. All in the name of "end user experience" or "security".

And many people do not have any choice or very limited choices with respect to an ISP and/or the provided services. And the ISPs know that.

Especially when most ISP's also know that the average user does not really know or understand many aspects of IT, computers, networks, and so forth. As has as evolved with automobiles DIY is almost impossible for modern vehicles. And that more than applies to all of our devices, appliances, and other once fixable things. Engineered to fail, poor designs, poor or non-existent quality control, lack of manufacturing standards. Applies to hardware, software, firmware, components, everything.

I also sometimes think that internet/ISP problems are "deflected" into the end user's computer/network where the error notice manifests itself. Somewhat cynical about such things. "Check engine" light.....

However with all that is going on: software as a service, configuration as a service, ISPs and websites, all vying to control as much of what we see and can do as possible, etc.. I think some cynisim is warranted.

Will end at that or I will need a post in the Opinions section - could be quite a rant.....

Solution