Computer keeps disconnecting from network. Need help.

stee709

Estimable
Jan 28, 2015
So my laptop keeps disconnecting from the internet randomly, and for short amounts of time. The problem started about 5 days ago, and since then it's gotten worse. At first, I'd be disconnected maybe once every couple of hours. Today, I'm being disconnected once every 10 minutes if I'm lucky.

I'm sure the problem is with this laptop alone, as I have a desktop computer and 2 smartphones being connected to the same router simultaneously without having the same issue,

The computer I'm using is this: http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-17/pd

I've been troubleshooting different things to fix the problem, so here's a list of what I've already tried without any success...
- Changing the power settings on my network card
- Uninstalling, then reinstalling the driver for my network card
- Typing in the command prompts "ipconfig /flushdns" or "netsh winsock reset" (This method was used on a Windows 8 computer but I took the liberty of trying it anyways)
- Shutting down my computer, removing the network card, then inserting it back into my computer
- Turning off all devices that are connected to my router, turning off said router and then turning it back on after a minute or so

2 days ago I decided to contact Dell, they assigned me to a technician who told me the problem was with my network card. They sent me a new one (The same model, but new) and I switched out the network cards. Nothing has changed, I still get the tiny glimpses of internet before it disconnects again.

Everything that I try doesn't seem to help at all. Haste is greatly appreciated because my warranty ends soon, and I need to know if there's a simple solution I haven't found yet, or if I have to replace my computer.

stee709

Estimable
Jan 28, 2015

It's not my local service provider because this laptop is the only computer on the network that's being disconnected.

EDIT: I use wireless.

Does the laptop still disconnect when you are in the same room as the router?

Another possibility: if you have a second wifi source in your home or if you have used a neighbors wifi then the laptop could be switching to that network if it is higher in the priority list.