Computer Not Booting. Recovery Failing.

Thomas_805

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
I have a Lenovo Y50-70 Touch with a Core I7 and 860 gtxm or w.e w/ 8gbs ram and the ssdhdd combo drive. The OS installed by Lenovo was windows 8.1 and I upgraded to windows 10 sometime after the release.

I was on my computer one day when I thought to restart it for some reason (I can't remember the reason why anymore, but it isn't important).
Upon restarting it took way longer than usual to boot (generally boots in a couple of seconds to a minute, took at least two minutes to get to log in screen, if not longer).
Once I got to the login screen and logged on I was sent to a black screen with no cursor which seemed like it was going to sit there indefinitely. So after 15 minutes or so I powered the laptop down and attempted to restart. Upon starting up, the regular Lenovo splash screen is displayed then the computer hangs and either does nothing, leads to a blue screen, or starts an automatic start-up repair function.
The blue screen states the computer needs to be repaired and gives me options to attempt to boot normally, go to bios or to go into a system recovery mode of some sort. The system recovery option leads to a black screen and another hangup of some sort. The automatic start-up repair that sometimes initiates itself hangs at a black screen as well.
I've tried creating my own windows 10 recovery media, I've used it in the past and know for a fact my usb is set-up correctly (I also burned the ISO option onto a disk and attempted to use my usb diskdrive to boot as well.)
While the computer is in UEFI Mode the USB is not recognized (I got Lenovo support to walk me through the correct set-up of the BIOS to detect the USB and did my own research online). The only way I was able to get the computer to recognize the USB was to change the BIOS from UEFI to Legacy and to boot Legacy mode first.
I also purchased a Lenovo Recovery Media usb (waste of money, I know) but it fails as well.

With every recovery tool I use the results are the same. After seeing the Windows Logo with the Lenovo Recovery Media or after the WIndows Recovery Media attempts to load files I am led to a blank black screen.

At this point, I am at a loss on what to attempt to do to fix my issue, my knowledge of computers has been exhausted. Any help in trying to get the recovery media to boot would be appreciated.
Or if someone could let me know whether or not it is possible to recover my data through another means so that I could reload the data onto a new ssd if i were to purchase one.

Solution
Have you tried starting up in "Safe Mode"? Simple as it may seem, sometimes that is what you need. Some of the issue you are describing can happen when malicious software is on the system.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10 ...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to...
Have you tried starting up in "Safe Mode"? Simple as it may seem, sometimes that is what you need. Some of the issue you are describing can happen when malicious software is on the system.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10 ...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

Solution