Computer running very slow after getting virusSo

bradyd3

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014
Hey,

So I have had my pc since Christmas and everything has been goin fine until yesterday. So yesterday I downloaded some app but quickly got detected with viruses in it. So I removed all of them and then I decided to get back on the Internet and everything was really slow and I was getting pop ups. So I went back to the antivirus and did a full system scan and it detected like 12 viruses and i got rid of them. So I decided to play BF4 (Ultra Settings) and when I got in it was running alot laggier then usual so I decided to put it on Low and was running fine. But the today I got back on and went to YouTube and it was still running really slow and had alot of pop ups. So what should I do to fix all of the pop ups and lag in games

My Specs:
CPU: i5 4690k
Ram: 8gb
GPU: MSI GTX 970
PSU: 500W Corsair
Hard Drive: WD Blue 1TB
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N WIFI
Cpu Cooler: H100i

Solution
Run MBAM, Hitman Pro, and then use a free scanner from Bitdefender, Panda, or Avira. Those are probably the best ones that I know of.

If there are still issues that haven't been fixed, we can try to walk you through it.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Run MBAM, Hitman Pro, and then use a free scanner from Bitdefender, Panda, or Avira. Those are probably the best ones that I know of.

If there are still issues that haven't been fixed, we can try to walk you through it.

Solution

bradyd3

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014
Thank you for your reply, I'm in the middle of a malwarebytes full scan, but after that is done I'm going to try out BF4 and go around on my browser and make sure everything is okay. But if it isn't in gonna try your method and see if it works.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
You may not need to run everything, but it would be a better counter measure, just to make sure everything is clean. Hitman is a good second opinion, so that's why I tend to run it after MBAM. They both miss things that the other catches (to certain degrees), but MBAM typically is the best one for most malware I've come across on computers.

Still, always a good idea to do a few extra scans to be sure you've cleared the problem. Hopefully you don't need to do much.

bradyd3

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014
Ok I did a full system scan and it deleted alot of stuff. I can't play games on ultra again but I'm still getting pop ups and ads in internet explorer. And loadin times are super slow on websites and sometimes it doesn't even load, what should I do???

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
While malwarebytes is good at identifying most problems, you need to make a list of what it finds and google methods for getting rid of each. Even though malwarebytes detects these things, it can only do so much. You'll need manual intervention to make sure other files and registry entries are removed or the malware will continue to re-install itself even after malwarebytes removes it.

On the other hand, the easiest thing you could do if you have a lot of malware is you could backup the files you want to keep to an external drive. Then upgrade to Windows 10 using the Windows 10 Media Creation tool (it's free for licensed Win 7 users):

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

In your case, because you have a lot of malware/viruses detected, I'd upgrade to Windows 10 and then use the built in utility to reset/refresh the PC which will set everything to a clean-install state.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
The only real issue with backing up files is you run the risk of backing up infected files. Unless you're positive all your personal files are clean, I wouldn't suggest backing them up without making sure they're thoroughly checked. Malware can hide in many places. I'd suggest backing up regularly, and checking your redundant back ups to make sure the files match, to avoid backing up newly infected files.

Preventing malware is probably the hardest part of all.