Computer Slows to a Halt

trylunar

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
Alright, so recently my computer has been acting a bit strange. Periodically my computers audio will cut out, my keyboard input will slow down, and my mouse inputs will lag and there will be a beeping noise along with it. Other times my computer will experience lag when gaming or watching videos, which hasn't happened in the past. The only recent hardware changes I have done was getting an external usb soundcard for my microphone. I scanned with MSE, malwarebytes, and microsofts malicious software removal tool and its all come out with nothing. Could it be conflicting drivers with the new hardware or something else?

Specs:
AMD 6350
GTX 660
Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter (the external soundcard)

bambiboom

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
trylunar,

That's a bit mysterious., but if it seems the problems started at the time the USB sound adapter was added, then your idea of conflicting drivers seems possible.

1. A first step might be to first ensure the onboard sound is disabled in BIOS, and if that doesn't help matters, disconnect the adapter and remove the driver(s) and run audio from onboard sound.

2. Check for the latest drivers for the sound adapter and try different USB ports. I have a Linksys AE3000 WiFi adapter that has better performance when plugged into USB 2.0 than USB 3.0, even though 3.0 is supposed to be seamlessly backwards-compatible.

3. Also, I've read more than once that keyboard and mouse are best plugged into USB ports "closest" to the motherboard, so you might check to see which rear USB ports are connected to the first motherboard connection.

4. Since the keyboard and mouse have troubles too, there may be something acting up with the USB controller. Perhaps you can update the system BIOS and the USB controller drivers just to be eliminate those possibilities. If the USB-related problems persist, try connecting the keyboard, mouse, and sound adapter to a USB PCIe expansion card, bypassing the onboard controller.

Here's hoping it's the simplest thing!

Cheers,

BambiBoom

TRENDING THREADS