Computer speed

Solution
Probably the most vague question I've heard on this forum yet. :)

Anyways, what is running slow? Video games? Internet? Windows is running slow (slow boot/opening programs/choppy)?

There are many things you can do both software and hardware that can speed up different things on your computer. First we need to know more specifics about your problem. :) Also the specifications of your computer.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Probably the most vague question I've heard on this forum yet. :)

Anyways, what is running slow? Video games? Internet? Windows is running slow (slow boot/opening programs/choppy)?

There are many things you can do both software and hardware that can speed up different things on your computer. First we need to know more specifics about your problem. :) Also the specifications of your computer.

Solution

I put my laptop in the back seat of my Porsche yesterday....we all went about 145 mph on the thruway till smokies showed up...sry, cudn't resist.

All kidding aside, give us your system specs and then perhaps we can make suggestions.

kjreynolds

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

Thanks for the reply! I have a Tohsiba Satellite with 1.73GHz Intel processor, 1.00 GB Ram, with a 32-bit system. My internet source is an AT&T usb air card. My computer has always been slow to boot and shut down and opening programs. Maybe I'm unfairly comparing it to a tower. I have a lot of programs on my desktop and that may be part of the booting/shutting down problem. I came to this site to read reviews of an ad I was told about that promised to greatly increase computer speed; the opinions were mostly negative sans the question, how do I increase computer speed.

sedaine

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2007
My guess is it's an Intel Celeron (single core) with 1MB Cache. You have 1GB of RAM and are running Windows Vista???????? (Guessing Windows Vista cause if you ran anything else you wouldn't be here).

1. Run disk defragmentation utility
2. Increase your RAM to at LEAST 2 GB (ideal is 3GB for 32-bit Vista and 4GB+ on 64-bit)
3. Remove unnecessary start up applications
4. Buy faster hard drive

If it's Vista, get faster hardrive