Computer system shuts off

bballcrook21

Estimable
Dec 25, 2014
I have a Sony Vaio VPCF12xhx/b computer that I bought back in 2010. Ever since the start of October, my computer has been randomly turning off during CERTAIN video games. These games include League of Legends, Archeage, Guild Wars II, Torchlight II, and so on. But back then it was different. I would play league, and it would turn off about 15-20 minutes into the game. Now, it turns off right away, and if im lucky it will turn off about 20 seconds into the game. This is different for all games. GWII turns off about 5 minutes in and so does Torchlight II. Archeage turns off RIGHT AWAY. Games such as Dota 2, Civ 5, and Hitman Absolution, and Ghost Recon do not turn off. I play all games in the lowest settings and I get around 250 fps in League.

I have factory reset my computer twice, I have redownloaded drivers about 5000 times, I have tested the CPU, GPU, and memory. I cannot understand what the problem is here since EVERYTHING from the tests runs fine.

Whoever is able to help or provide insight, please do.

computertech82

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
A computer will typically turn off if a certain temp is reached. That is in the cmos of the motherboard. This is usually a function when equipment overheats. Check your motherboard settings and what temp it's set to to turn off. Check fans of cpu, motherboard and video card. Check those 3 for any temperature issues.