Computer upgrade for 9805 WKHI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julian Cairns-Wicks

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Please ! Can Anybody understand that I am extremely happy with the quality and display on my 9805 WKHI ACER but realise it is getting old hat by todays standards but Can it be upgraded with a new Processor that fits and works?
Jubes on St. Helena Island.

Solution
Welcome back.

The GeForce Go 7600 graphics chip is going to be found soldered on the laptops motherboard. An experienced technician with the proper tools could do the work. It's really not something you or I could do ourselves. Another factor is that the fault with the graphics chip might be on the motherboard (power distribution or connections). I think the 'standard fix' for that type of problem is a motherboard replacement. Again, not something I'd be comfortable doing myself.
I believe this eBay listing might be your motherboard.

In this picture the graphics chip is between the empty white RAM sockets and the empty tan CPU socket.

Uploaded with...
Hello JCW;

Upgrading your '06 vintage Acer 9805 's Core Duo T2600 2.16 GHz, 2M Cache, 667 MHz FSB socket M CPU is limited by the 945GM chipset motherboard.

There is a Core 2 Duo T760 2.26 GHz CPU that should fit but it's performance is too close to be called anything buy a 'sideway's upgrade' - you would not notice any performance improvement.

The good news is that it's not a terrible CPU. They're selling CPUs these days that don't perform as well. Big list of Mobile Processors (CPU Benchmarks) Core Duo T2600 is ranked #186

Acer Aspire 9805WKHi review
Acer Aspire 9805WKHI Notebook spec list

Julian Cairns-Wicks

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011

Julian Cairns-Wicks

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011

Dear WR2,

Many thanks for your help... as my battery has stopped and my DVD has succumbed in some way, (it only works when I switch on but unless the media is the same it will not work again) Perhaps it is about time I purchased something to take its place....any suggestions? How much for a new battery and a new DVD. Am I being wise if you think it would be best if I bought a new computer so be it.
Thank you very much in the meantime,

Jubes JCW

Julian Cairns-Wicks

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Many thanks to you and WR2,

It would appear my problem with the Acer 9805 WKHI is in the Graphics department. Is it possible to tell me where to locate that particular item on the mother board and whether it is possible to purchase the replacement. And more to the point is it possible to replace it myself? We have no suitable boffin types on the island.

The part concerned should be a Nvidea GeForce Go 7600 with 512 MB turbo cache.

However under the Performance & Tools it shows graphics as being Desktop Windows Aero with a performance figure of 1

I downloaded an update for Nvidea three times (my months supply of M/B) and it is unable to update. It appears therefore the card is not working.
(It also said non of the Nvidea memory is working which seems to confirm the diagnosis).

Julian.
P.S. Please excuse my reluctance to answert you last month but I did not wish to give C&W even more money.

Julian Cairns-Wicks.

Welcome back.

The GeForce Go 7600 graphics chip is going to be found soldered on the laptops motherboard. An experienced technician with the proper tools could do the work. It's really not something you or I could do ourselves. Another factor is that the fault with the graphics chip might be on the motherboard (power distribution or connections). I think the 'standard fix' for that type of problem is a motherboard replacement. Again, not something I'd be comfortable doing myself.
I believe this eBay listing might be your motherboard.

In this picture the graphics chip is between the empty white RAM sockets and the empty tan CPU socket.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Solution
It's probably time to start thinking about a replacement. Im not too keen on a repair with a used motherboard.

I think you'd want to start a new topic for that.

The link below 'Laptop Buyers FAQ' has the 'usual questions' needed to match you up with a new laptop.

Julian Cairns-Wicks

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Thank you again, both for the information and the advice as well as the Ebay Picture Etc. However do you think the Nvidea Graphics card would be included in the deal (from Ebay?).
What would you think about the situation if it was you.. I know I need a new battery. about $80 I expect and I think it would be best to upgrade to 2X2 M/b chips for the memory. Oh! By the way, would the board include the 256 of dedicated GDDR2 and the Turbo Cache?
Gosh I am sorry for all these questions, I hope you find my problem as blazingly interesting as I do?
By the way the final question would be to ask if I should just go and buy something new and if so what would you personally recommend?
I bet you almost wish I had not joined... Thank you anyway.

All the Best
Jubes.

Yes, the Geforce Go 7600 graphics card was already soldered onto the motherboard on the eBay listing.

Besides the battery, motherboard and RAM you're looking at tech labor costs and that will exceed all the hardware costs by at least two, perhaps 3 times. Possible more. You can probably get a rough estimate for a tech/repair service.

Status
Not open for further replies.