I have a Dell inspiron 14z 5423 with windows 10 operating system, I installed a USB to VGA adapter to this computer to be able to connect external monitor. after the installation the laptop quit working, i can see only power indicator and the laptop is totally dead, some times I can see all the indicators and its doing startup but without loading the operating system just black screen, and some times it starts to eject the DVD drive and beeps for three times and keep doing this till I reset it by removing the CMOS battery.
Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If this will not work, do test the AC adapter if it's working properly. Remove the battery and power the laptop with just the AC adapter connected and see if it will boot up or not. do also try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage and see if it will work or not.
- Proceed with reseating the RAM's if trying a different AC adapter will not work, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
- If it will still not work, connect an external monitor and see if you'll get any display from it. If there's a display on the external monitor that could mean that the problem is the built in display.
- But if there's still no display on the external monitor do contact Dell for a repair if it's still under the factory warranty.