Computer won't startup properly

gregofficial

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
A few weeks ago, my computer stopping being able to get into Windows. It will turn on, and just turn off and restart that the black screen with Windows logo starting windows (im using windows 7). It will just keep doing this indefinitely.

I hit F8 at startup and have tried booting from last known good configuration, safe mood, etc nothing works, same thing happens. I chose do not restart on failed startup, and found the computer is not getting past the amdkmpfd.sys file. At which point it turns off again.

I've searched online but cannot find a solution. I do not have any windows recovery disks. I do have Ubuntu on a USB that I've been able to boot into. I used this to get important files off the hard drive.

Is there any known solution to fix the computer without being able to get into Windows? Is it possible to fix that amdkmpfd file through being booted into Ubuntu?

Thank you so much for any help!

Edit: to be clear, I am not 100% amdkmpfd is even the problem. That is simply the last file it shows loading before restarting.
iOekJ

gregofficial

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
Thank you Doolittle! It took a long time and many steps, but i finally got it working.

I still ran into other issues though, I had to reformat the hard drive through Ubuntu live USB first as there was something wrong with the C drive that wouldn't allow me to install or fix Windows as it was. Its a pain having to reinstall everything and transferring files back onto it, but it's now a backup computer so no major hurry.

Thanks again