Conan O'Brien Pokes Fun at Another Lost iPhone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]I wouldn't. I'd sell it to some iZombie "collector" for over 9000 and go buy some real good stuff.
That's damn obvious. I've ALWAYS said that about all "leaks" - 99% of them are controlled and are there to whip up some hype - free advertisement, as you said.Keep it up, Apple. But what for? iZombies will get it anyway, others won't no matter how much you advertise it, since SGS II and some phones from HTC are already far superior - for the same price ($650 unlocked/$250 with contract).[/citation]

I didn't know you were an Apple supporter! :D Given the ease with which you'd be willing to screw over another human being, how could you not be ;)

Plus, if these "lost iPhones" are all "cheap" advertising.. They deserve props. Companies spend hundreds of thousands on some commercials.. sometimes millions(Super Bowl).. Apple figured out an easy way.. But of course.. They get hate.. Because they don't fit the penny-pinching business plan that most PC people want and enjoy.. Not that has led to quite a few(lol) PC commanies downfall.. :,(

The US Navy has a saying they tell people from day 1 in boot camp.. "Smarter, not Harder."

I guess Apple is the smarter one ;P

Manicslayer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Video amusing until the end, but enjoyable nonetheless. Apple does get near free advertising from this "stolen" iPhone, but I don't think it has the same weight behind it as a minute long commercial. iPhone 5 better have some upped hardware to compete with these HTC and Motorola behemoths around. Better optimization will only get you so far and Android is quickly catching up in that aspect.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Manicslayer[/nom]Video amusing until the end, but enjoyable nonetheless. Apple does get near free advertising from this "stolen" iPhone, but I don't think it has the same weight behind it as a minute long commercial. iPhone 5 better have some upped hardware to compete with these HTC and Motorola behemoths around. Better optimization will only get you so far and Android is quickly catching up in that aspect.[/citation]

No, it probably doesn't get near the same weight, but *if* the phone was lost on purpose, you do gotta figure.. How many news outlets have reported about it. How many page views online has it garnered? How much traffic total has been gained from it? Even if just one person buys into this hype.. Apple more than doubled their investment. That's called smart business. Figure out how to do things well. Not by throwing more and more money at things. And that's apparent with just about everything Apple does. They are not "extravagant", yet they keep doing better, and better, and better. They start with the idea of how something should work, and then build something designed to do just that, and admirably.. Instead of saying lets throw in all this awesome hardware, and as an after thought.. try to make it work well. The PC crowd, in general, could learn from Apple with regards on how to design something. Designing in reverse makes for shoddy products.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Everyone should pretend to lose a prototype, have the Internet flooded with pictures, rebuke those claims, to have the Internet flooded with gossip & have other people make free adds for them for the next couple of years... ;-)

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]No, it probably doesn't get near the same weight, but *if* the phone was lost on purpose, you do gotta figure.. How many news outlets have reported about it. How many page views online has it garnered? How much traffic total has been gained from it? Even if just one person buys into this hype.. Apple more than doubled their investment. That's called smart business. Figure out how to do things well. Not by throwing more and more money at things. And that's apparent with just about everything Apple does. They are not "extravagant", yet they keep doing better, and better, and better. They start with the idea of how something should work, and then build something designed to do just that, and admirably.. Instead of saying lets throw in all this awesome hardware, and as an after thought.. try to make it work well. The PC crowd, in general, could learn from Apple with regards on how to design something. Designing in reverse makes for shoddy products.[/citation]

Building around a closed system definitely has it's advantages, but I don't think that's what everyone is criticizing here. This type of misleading advertisement is what encourages the massive base of Apple consumers to purchase a new device with each of their (very frequent) releases. While this is great for Apple, these consumers are wasting tons of money on marginally better platforms, and it feeds into a lot of baseless brand loyalty.

In this sense, Apple has somewhat of a monopoly on closed system (OS+hardware) devices, and rely a lot on device appearance, which is becoming hard to compete with due to patent lawsuits.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
wow, seriously guy? Just get some 1$ Tweezers and pluck that mono-brow, holy hell that thing is running wild... just like the prototype.

I totally thought that commercial was going to go another direction, i was thinking it would be apple employees pouting and threatening not to release the iphone 5 to anyone until its released!

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
They should do a brainstorming session and find new places to lose their phones, it's not just getting old, it's making Apple devs look like they need some AA sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.