• MSI GS60

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Desktop

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

gsinger

Estimable
Aug 4, 2014
As the title says, Im conflicted on whether to buy the new MSI GS60 Ghost Laptop (GTX860M version) or build a desktop.

The desktop will have the following specs:
Mobo: AsRock Z97 Fatality Killer X
CPU: Intel i5-4670K/4690K
Graphics: Sapphire Dual-X Radeon R9 270X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black 16 GB (2 x 8 GB DDR3)
HDD: Seagate 2 TB HDD
SSD: 128 GB (used as boot drive)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 White/Blue
PSU: Cooler Master G600W
Wifi Card

The desktop with monitor/keyboard will be roughly the same price as the laptop ($1700- 1800 vs 1600 - 1700)

Im building the desktop or buying the laptop with gaming in mind.

Stoneskinsnake

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hey, I just wanted to make a recommendation of two companies that offer custom built laptops. (http://www.xidax.com/laptops) has a pretty impressive selection of laptops that can all be customized to your hearts content to in your price range. They also offer a 2 year standard warrantee on their laptops that can be extended to 3yrs. Another company to check is (http://www.ibuypower.com/). They offer laptops and desktops for a reasonable price as well, however their warrantee isn't as long as Xidax. If you go into either of these companies configuration builders, you should be able to get something BETTER than the MSI GS60 for around the same cost. This is not to mention you'll have access to customer support from the company you buy from should something go wrong.

Cheers, just make sure to look around more.

gsinger

Estimable
Aug 4, 2014

Cheers for the answer mate, still conflicted as even though i dont travel a lot im worried i may need mobility.

Ive already looked around mate, i was tempted to get the Aorus X7, however the price is out of my budget, im also looking for the laptop to be relatively portable yet powerful, hence the MSI GS60 or GS70.

easily get the desktop, though you might want to change the power supply to an XFX 650W, not really a fan of coolermaster. And unless you're editing stuff you don't need 16GB of RAM.

gsinger

Estimable
Aug 4, 2014

I actually dont know what that means but ive decided that I will go forth with the desktop

Yeah, thanks for the advice mate. I've changed the specs of the desktop to look like the following:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3
CPU: Intel i-5 4670k
Graphics: Sapphire Dual-X Radeon R9 270X/280X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black 8 Gb (2 x 4 GB DDR3)
HDD: WDC 1 TB 64 MB cache
SSD: Kingston Now SSD 120 GB
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 White/Blue
Wifi Card:
PSU: Cooler Master G600W

I looked at the XFX 650W but it costs twice the price as the Cooler Master.
I will be building my desktop from http://rakitonline.com/, I currently live in Indonesia, and the current exchange rate is about 1 USD = 11,700 IDR

Im confused whether or not to spend the extra 100 i save to up the graphics to 280x from 270x or just pocket the savings.

gsinger

Estimable
Aug 4, 2014

I believe I will go forth with the desktop, and maybe in the short run save up for a portable laptop, just for work purposes and play games on the desktop.

Would you have any advice for the current build I have ?
My budget is say about IDR 16 - 18 Million, roughly USD 1300 - 1600. (1 USD = 11,700 IDR)
Im using www.rakitonline.com to purchase the components
inclusive of monitor/keyboard. I already have a mouse

Stoneskinsnake

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
If you can, I would recommend going with two of those kingston SSD 120GB's in a Raid 0 format. It's going to boost the read/write speeds quite a bit, and if you put your OS on the raid array then your boot up times will be substatially better. I would use the 1TB HDD for storage purposes like pictures and things of that nature, but your overall build looks good. Also, go with the 270X and pocket the savings. The difference between the 270X and 280X is not that much, and if you were to get a aftermarket cooler for your IC-5 (Unlocked) you can overclock that badboy, which will give you more gains than the upgrade to the 280X. Just my two cents. GL mate.

gsinger

Estimable
Aug 4, 2014

I Like the build that youve sent over to me
But most of the parts where i can get them are more expensive, I live in Indonesia.
I will be building my laptop from rakitonline.com
and my budget is 16,000,000 - 19,000,000 IDR (roughly USD $1300 - 1500) including the monitor and keyboard