Solved! Confused which security suit to choose.Help guys.

Oct 26, 2018
I have a low end pc with 2GB ram and 500mb storage but now i am confused that which antivirus or internet security should i use which doesn't eat much system resources. I have tried McAfee, avast and eset IS but these used very high resources.Can anyone help me with this problem?

Solution
One thing that would use no resources is a NAT router for starters. It basically stops 99.9% the unsolicited stuff (stuff you didn't click on, download or ask for).

Purists will argue that NAT provides no security. It's similar to a closed door. It might not be secure, but by its nature it's preventing a lot of crap coming in.

On the solicited side of the equation, I would suggest a robust AV solution that suits your hardware, some sensible browser security, such as ad blocker (I prefer Ublock Origin and its lists). Consider these examples - https://lifehacker.com/5770947/five-best-browser-security-extensions

The blocking of ads also reduces the load of pages for your hardware.

Beyond that, the best security is to limit the users...

camieabz

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
One thing that would use no resources is a NAT router for starters. It basically stops 99.9% the unsolicited stuff (stuff you didn't click on, download or ask for).

Purists will argue that NAT provides no security. It's similar to a closed door. It might not be secure, but by its nature it's preventing a lot of crap coming in.

On the solicited side of the equation, I would suggest a robust AV solution that suits your hardware, some sensible browser security, such as ad blocker (I prefer Ublock Origin and its lists). Consider these examples - https://lifehacker.com/5770947/five-best-browser-security-extensions

The blocking of ads also reduces the load of pages for your hardware.

Beyond that, the best security is to limit the users to 1, have said user not visit dodgy websites or links.

Also consider tuning your system to use less resources, such as services, start-up processes, scheduled tasks and non-essential browser extensions or toolbars.

I won't argue against an Internet Security package, but not all users need one. So decide your needs and see what's available. When I went looking at a package recently for a friend, one that looked quite good was Bitdefender, but I don't remember its system footprint offhand.

Solution
You don't really have enough RAM installed to run any AV or IS software that isn't going to impact considerably on your computer's performance.

All the advice given above is sound & sensible in that regard, but even so I wouldn't want to be using any PC with less than 4GB RAM because of the frustration factor of waiting for it to do anything.