confusing soldering question

Generalcckid

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Hi, i dont really know if im posting in the right place but whatever. i have ear pollution mogul stealth headphones that are about to break. The right ear cup will stop responding so i was wondering if i could take this: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/img01361g.jpg/ Then replace it with this?: http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2504/img01371v.jpg

Thanks, and if you could explain why they cant that'd be great.

Solution
You need to determine if the part of the wire that is causing the right channel to go out is at the stereo mini plug end or at the headphone itself. Wiggle the cable at each end holding the rest of the cable as still as you can. If the connector is the problem you can cut off the old one and replace it. You may need to solder it though as this type of connector usually does not have screw terminals due to the small size of the connector and the thin wire which easily breaks when stressed as you already know since that is why you are having a problem.
If the problem is at the headphone end you would have to disassemble it to get to the wire that is broken.

Pgooch

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
You can get replacement 3.5mm ends at the local radio shack just make sure it has the right dividers , Im not sure the proper terms.. It has the dividers for the different wires then the rubber divider separates them. so just make sure the replacement ends matches. Theres no soldering involved

You need to determine if the part of the wire that is causing the right channel to go out is at the stereo mini plug end or at the headphone itself. Wiggle the cable at each end holding the rest of the cable as still as you can. If the connector is the problem you can cut off the old one and replace it. You may need to solder it though as this type of connector usually does not have screw terminals due to the small size of the connector and the thin wire which easily breaks when stressed as you already know since that is why you are having a problem.
If the problem is at the headphone end you would have to disassemble it to get to the wire that is broken.

Solution