Confusion over AMD A10 and I5 (Lenovo , Acer or HP)

HS

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014
Hi ,

i want a budget laptop but same time hardware wise up to the mark so i don't have to upgrade it again in next 3-4 years.
My Major task is programming on latest microsoft products namely Windows Azure, VS 2013 and SQL SERVER 2013, IIS.
Budget 30-40 K INR.
Laptops i am looking are ;

1. Lenovo Essential G505S (59-380131) Laptop (APU Quad Core A10/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graphics) - its costing me 38,900 INR
http://shopap.lenovo.com/in/en/laptops/lenovo/g-series/g505s/#tab-tech_specs

2. Acer Aspire V5 V5-573GV5-573G- Windows 8 - Intel Core i5 (i5 - 4200U, 1.60 GHz, 3 MB) - 39.6 cm (15.6") LED - 16:9 HD - Active Matrix TFT Colour LCD - NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M Up to 2 GB - 6 GB DDR3L SDRAM - 1 TB Serial ATA - its costing me 45,000 INR
http://www.acer.co.in/ac/en/IN/content/model-datasheet/NX.MCGSI.002

3. HP Pavilion 15 P036tu 4th Gen Intel Core i5 4GB RAM 1TB HDD Win8.1
- Its costing me 45,000 INR.
http://hpshopping.in/HP_Pavilion_15-p036tu_Notebook_PC_Laptop

Why i am liking lenovo
1. I had an old laptop of lenovo 3000N100 from last 7 years and it was awesome, working till date without any issue.
2. Acer its high configuration is although i have to strech my budget ( do i really need this as compare to Lenovo.
3. HP i like its build quality....

Please suggest >>>>>
Lenovo - its with in budget ...
Acer - its i5 (a bit out of budget)
HP - its i5 (a bit out of budget)

Solution
I do a lot of the same programming - while it is hard to say what the next generation of Microsoft products will use for hardware, there are a few things you may want to consider:
1) Windows 8.1 Pro will give you the ability to log into a domain - not sure if this is in your specifications or not, but I do log into domains and this is needed for my builds. You can always upgrade 8.1 to 8.1 Pro for a fee.
2) 4GB of RAM is about the minimum needed - 8GB is optimal for a lot of my projects - especially if you are doing any large queries or actions with data in SQL.
3) 1TB HDD is good size - no issues there
4) GPUs that are included in the laptops are costing you extra money - consider dropping the GPU and utilizing Intel/AMD onboard...

ronintexas

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
I do a lot of the same programming - while it is hard to say what the next generation of Microsoft products will use for hardware, there are a few things you may want to consider:
1) Windows 8.1 Pro will give you the ability to log into a domain - not sure if this is in your specifications or not, but I do log into domains and this is needed for my builds. You can always upgrade 8.1 to 8.1 Pro for a fee.
2) 4GB of RAM is about the minimum needed - 8GB is optimal for a lot of my projects - especially if you are doing any large queries or actions with data in SQL.
3) 1TB HDD is good size - no issues there
4) GPUs that are included in the laptops are costing you extra money - consider dropping the GPU and utilizing Intel/AMD onboard graphics - you will get better battery life - unless you are programming high-intensity graphics you won't need the GPU.
5) I prefer Intel chipsets on my programming machines - AMD makes great processors for general use and gaming, but for production....Intel all the way.

HP, Dell, ASUS, Lenovo and Acer all make good products - I have owned all but the Acer brand for laptops. I have an HP laptop I bought in 2003 that is still going - my grandson is using it now.

Solution

HS

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014

Thanks for your reply you have given me one new dimension for thinking... but my basic quesiton is still unresolved ... I was taking up AMD on intel due to budget constraint. and if amd A10 will suffice my needs i wont have to bear the pain of taking intel i5 if its not really worth.

Lalith Reddy

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014
get the amd its onboard graphics can help in most scenarios and you could altogether drop the integrated graphics and spend money on some thing more useful to your requirements and as far as a10 vs i5 goes id take the a10 anyday as its more future proofed and you could get better performance

spentshells

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
In this situation they seem like they will all suit your needs. Personally I find the build quality of Acer leaves something to be desired. (mind you this is not always the case as they do have good pricing)

HP makes nicer looking products but lenovo is number one for a reason. I say step away from acer and let your preferences decide.