Connect 2 monitors on a laptop

lakiscy

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Hello.

- I got a laptop Sony T13.
- It use Intel 4000 graphic card.
- It has 2 output ports, a VGA an an HDMI

Is it possible to connect 2 monitors on this laptop?

I want to use only the 2 monitors not laptop screen, i know 2 is the maximum.

PS: hdmi and vga ports are very close to each other and i cant connect them at the same time. Is there any way to use a splitter or something?

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
A VGA splitter would let you output the same thing on two displays, if that is what you want to do, you can do that.

If you want to use two displays with different content (an extended desktop), you will need to find a way to physically plug in both the HDMI and the VGA; however they may not be able to function at the same time (and so they designed them close together to make it impossible connect).

You could also use a USB-video adapter, as long as you are not doing anything too demanding (no games). However these are fairly expensive since they are essentially a USB video card. An example would be http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815136004

lakiscy

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Hello thanks for your reply. The Usb video adapter seems to be a solution, however i am not sure if it could work in a 2nd external monitor. What i need is to have 2 extended monitors in order to have more desktop and display space

thanks again

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I have never used one of these adapters, but I would expect it to work along side your existing ports to allow two external monitors. The newegg reviews seem to reaffirm that it would let you use your laptop ports and this thing at the same time.

Alternatively you could see if your model offers a docking station with more spacing between the ports (you should probably contact sony before going this route to ensure it can output to two seperate external monitors).