connect a laptop to projector with hdmi and also get sound from surround system

yorks

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
I am trying to connect my Fujitsu laptop to an Epson projector via HDMI and also the laptop to a Samsung home theatre system. As soon as I switch to view via the projector the sound switches from the surround to the projector?any help would be appreciated. Laptop only has one HDMI port btw

TOMBOY64

Estimable
Feb 11, 2014
ALL YOU GOT TO DO IS: HDMI FROM LAPTOP TO HDMI IN ON YOUR RECEIVER(MINE SAMSUNG HC-7000)THEN HDMI OUT FROM RECEIVER TO HDMI IN TO PROJECTOR.
HDMI IN CAN BE ON (SAT IN) OR (AUX IN) AT RECEIVER. TURN RECEIVER ON AND SELECT (SAT OR AUX) THEN SIGNAL IN (OPTICAL,ANALOG, HDMI) IN THIS CASE HDMI. HOPE THIS WORK FOR YOU.

Jonathan Lee

Estimable
Sep 5, 2014
I'm having exactly the same problem with different hardware. As soon as I plug in my projector (an older DVI model), my computer drops the receiver as an attached device, even though I'm successfully passing video through the receiver. I've been searching for two days with no solution in sight. :-(

Jonathan Lee

Estimable
Sep 5, 2014
Here is a belated response to DCA - gasman.

This solution won't work, unless I'm misunderstanding. I wanted (like the original poster, I think) to send HDMI out from a computer to a home theater system with a passthrough to my projector. But when I plug in my projector, which has no sound input, the computer stops outputting to HDMI at all in my case, and ouputs through the built-in computer speakers. So switching default audio to the built-in speakers will do exactly the opposite of what I want in this case.

I solved the problem with an HDMI splitter box. I tried two: one from Radio Shack which cost a fortune and a cheap one from an Amazon.com seller. Unfortunately, the cheap one rendered everything in green. The expensive one from RS did the trick, though, so I kept it. In case other people are looking, the model number was 1500474, and it ran $60. Here is a link to a description: http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-3-in-2-out-hdmi-matrix-selector/1500474.html#q=hdmi%2Bsplitter&start=8.

MrCarlSr

Estimable
Dec 9, 2014
Hello, I had that same problem. In my case, an Epson projector and my PA system. Laptop was tricky, but figured it out. But I also wanted my PS3 and cable box. HDMI sends the sound to the projector only to come out the two inch built in speaker. I ended up getting a Matrix 4x2 hdmi splitter with analog sound out. All my devices in, two outs to monitor and projector. With red and white rca Jack's feeding the PA. It was $69 on Amazon.

Jonathan Lee

Estimable
Sep 5, 2014
In response to MrCarlSr:
I thought about something like this, too. But in my case, I wanted the HDMI audio out for surround 5.0; since my laptop serving as an HTPC didn't have an optical out, I was stuck with HDMI as the only option.

nVidea

Estimable
Aug 11, 2014

Dcasgamsn, thanks for this tip. I hooked up my HDMI from laptop, to my LED 32 inch Tv... And I put the sound system on my laptop, The sounds was coming from the TV, NOT from the Creative Sound system 2.1. Anyway, I searched for possible solutions online until I found this. I followed your instructions and BOOOM. It worked.

Arigato

yorks

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

thanks but the reciever is old so doesnt have a hdmi output only red white yellow's, can i use them instead?

ABNTAER

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
Gasman's solution helped me. Just a bit of detail. It seems that when you plug in the HDMI, some laptops (both mine) then default to the HDMI cable for audio playback without telling you. In my case, I had not just to select the speakers as default but disable the HDMI as an option as it kept switching to it. Then choose what audio output from laptop you want. Thanks Dc Gasman.

Ohiocorn62

Estimable
Mar 9, 2015

I am trying to watch MP3 movies on a screen via Inspirion laptop connecting it to my Epson projector to project image on screen via hdmi cable. However, my Bose external speakers plugged into the audio of the laptop don't work and will only work when I pull out the hdmi cables, but then the movies don't project onto the screen any more. It worked at one point a few weeks ago, now it doesn;t work. Anyone can suggest a fix?

Jamie2580

Estimable
Mar 10, 2015

Hi Jonathan, I think I'm trying to achieve the same as you...
1. Laptop into Home Theater Receiver via HDMI
2. Receiver to Projector (Visual)
3. Receiver to 5.1 Speakers (Audio)

How does Audio work via Splitter?

BiGZeUz01

Estimable
Apr 10, 2015
In my past issues with hdmi takeing control of sound from my laptop, i went to the volume control on the lower right of the screen on a Windows pc, right click it to settings and went to play back device. If your hdmi cable is pluged in then you Will have the option to select ether the hdmi or the computers original speakers. If the sound system is plugged in then it should also come up on that list as well. If you would like for me to uploaded pictures to demonstrait then i will be able to if necessary. Thanks for your time.

Gadget Girl

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015
I am trying to do this with an iPad mini. Went to the Radio Shack store. Can't adjust anything on the speakers, iPad, or splitter to solve this similar problem. Please any solutions? I am a road warrior teacher. Want to use the iPad, but i"m having no luck.

Priscilla

W

hellosusai

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016

I would like to have screen shots of your method. Because it seems more economic in my case. I can't afford money to buy a splitter. Please help me sir.

BrandonSL26

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
I have a question, I'm using my laptop connecting with HDMI to a VGA Video Projector. Video works fine but using the headphone jack to RCA into a Digital to Analong Audio Converter box then a fiber optic cabel from the audio box into a sound bar and getting no sound....

lizwhitlock

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
This solved my problem! In a PowerPoint presentation on my Lenovo laptop, I was going to have either a choppy video with sound using a USB A/B cable, or a smooth video with no sound using an HDMI cable. I l followed your directions as best I could--when I right-clicked on my volume control I went directly to "playback devices," not "settings" first--and just picked a different option (I didn't know which one to pick), and set that as the default. I had my Bose speaker connected already when I did this. Then I hooked up the projector to the laptop with the PowerPoint already on the laptop first, and it worked! I had already called a computer IT service first which told me that HDMI was the only connection I had that would smooth out the video, but they didn't know how to get the sound to work. I am overjoyed that now I will have a smooth video with audio in my PowerPoint. Thank you so much! (This is in reference to the solution offered by BiGZeUz01.)

lizwhitlock

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018