Connect Subwoofer to Motherboard?

Aug 27, 2018
Hey I just got a subwoofer and I'm not entirely sure how to connect it

I've been reading for a week now and came across a forum where they suggested to use a 3.5mm to RCA Adapter and hook it up to the motherboard

Is that even possible?

My audio setup runs through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface

Thanks in advance!!

Solution
Almost all powered subs have a low pass crossover which is what the controls adjust.
Most subs don't have a high pass crossover so it's the same as splitting the output that goes to the full range speakers and connecting both them and the sub. It's better if the sub has stereo inputs. Using a Y splitter to combine left and right doesn't work all the time. The right way to do it is
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/linesum.html

kanewolf

Judicious
MERGED QUESTION
Question from n.milutinovic : "Connect Subwoofer to Audio Interface"

For players that don't provide you a specific LFE OUT..... Connect L+R ---> Sub, then Sub ---> Fronts.

For the above to work, you sub MUST have the following:

L+R audio input.
L+R out to Fronts.
Crossover Knob.

Fronts should be self-powered or insert amp between sub and fronts.

Aug 27, 2018
I'm really new to audio

The thing is I can't possibly figure out a way to connect the Sub to my audio Interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2), so I asked the customer service and they said I could hook the Sub up to my audio Interface with 2x TRS male -> RCA female Adapters and then add a Y cable to hook up my Sub

Does that work? Because that would mean my speakers and Sub would be hooked up seperately to my Interface, thus needing a crossover?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge :??:

OK let me try one more time, is not as complicated as you think:

Focusrite ----> SUB ----> L+R Speakers.

Notice above I said "MUST HAVE THESE... CROSSOVER KNOB.

So Sub will be doing the crossover, sending low freq to its own speaker, and the rest to L+R speakers.

See THIS? example. Look at its back, is got everything I said ABOVE you need.

Almost all powered subs have a low pass crossover which is what the controls adjust.
Most subs don't have a high pass crossover so it's the same as splitting the output that goes to the full range speakers and connecting both them and the sub. It's better if the sub has stereo inputs. Using a Y splitter to combine left and right doesn't work all the time. The right way to do it is
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/linesum.html

Solution