Connect tv to receiver

smilingcow77

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
I am getting an Onkyo receiver in the mail tomorrow. I ordered it so I can play tv sound through speakers that I will be hooking up to the receiver. The tv I have does not have rca jacks. It only has a headphone out port, digital audio coaxial out(not toslink), and apparently the hdmi 1 port can be used for audio out. The receiver only has rca inputs. What would be the best way to connect tv audio to the receiver?

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
What is the model of your TV. That's the important part. It may have RCA outputs as well. (Red and White plugs) How are you getting signal to the TV? Cable Box, Computer, Tinfoil antenna?? Are you able to send video signal to the TV via the HDMI, and then use stereo plugs from the source component to the Receiver?

smilingcow77

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
I can't find a reply button using my phone. In response to Rhinofart, the tv does not have rca ports at all. I have the tv connected to a ps3 and a fire tv via hdmi cables.

I would say you bought wrong receiver. For little bit more money you should have bought proper AV receiver (one capable of switching both audio and video).

With your current setup, I would look for ways to connect audio directly from PS3/Roku to the receiver. If everything else fails, there are "HDMI Audio Extractors" - small moxes with HDMI in, HDMI out and RCA audio out

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

Or he could use the $5 cable I already suggested to the headphone output on the TV:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000067RBT/ref=asc_df_B000067RBT4751180?smid=A1AELTLVGJRO4D&tag=shopzilla0d-20&ascsubtag=shopzilla_rev_357-20%3B14840945836354211544510090302008005&linkCode=df0&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B000067RBT&th=1&psc=1

And I agree He should have bought something a little better, but it will work.

smilingcow77

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
The receiver has a ton of rca inputs, which is what I was looking for. I wanted a basic old school type receiver and this one had a lot of good reviews. My main gripe is with a lot of new tv's not having an rca audio output.

kanewolf

Judicious
INTERESTING ... There are two versions of the TX-8020. If you do a google image search, you will see one with just stereo RCA inputs. You will see another set of images (from Onkyo's website also) that had coax and toslink digital inputs. It sounds like you got the RCA only version...

You say your TV has COAX digital output. That would be my recommended method of connecting. You just need an adapter -- https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Optical-Toslink-Coaxial-Converter/dp/B00ANIIY9I

Why don't I recommend the headphone port, because it is usually in the front of the TV and running a cable around the front is pretty trashy....

smilingcow77

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
Yall are gonna laugh! I have been thinking about upgrading to a larger tv set for a while. I ended up purchasing a new tv today that does have rca audio out jacks! I made sure it did! Problem solved! Thanks yall for your help though!