Connecticut Town Cancels Plans to Destroy Videogames

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Sounds like someone realized how retarded the move was.
How did they decide the goals were attained, anyways? Some sort of "Mission Accomplished" banner? There is no reference to any data collected and processed to indicate that.
This is a gun-based culture. Guns are not regarded only as tools, they are almost worshiped. That is not going to change anytime soon, so it is not a question IF the next massacre will happen, just WHEN and WHERE.
Even the best videogame does not stand a chance when compared to any movie in terms of realism. Maybe they should have started with their TV sets. Not to mention the insane amount of media coverage given to these lunatics, turning them into some modern-era public figures.

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Wouldn't getting rid of the yknow "guns" be better? Until I see a load of kids being mown down with fireballs by someone in a panda/ork costume i'm finding it difficult to see the connection between violent games and random attacks. Nor do I remember completing a game by shooting myself in the head.

I'm also wondering how this kid focused system would have stopped the 20 year old that sparked this "initiative".

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Always blaming whatever fits their agenda... games, guns, fatty foods. Have some parenting and self-responsibility for once. No matter what laws are pass you cannot simply "ban" psycho-crazy... unless in some other realm people would be wearing a kill switch with constant monitoring of their actions, tragic accidents will happen. But don't get any ideas government...I rather be killed by a crazies than walk around like an animal-inmate 24/7 any day.

And all this gun-banning BS... look at numerous lunatics chopping up 25+ people with knives/axes in China... what now we have to ban everything sharp? Ban fertilizer? Ban household chemicals? Anyone thinking that "banning" anything will fix any of these people from future massacres is a naive fool.

mage182

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
I played whatever video games I wanted growing up (I'm 30). I don't have a problem with my kids playing whatever video games they want because they will know the difference between right and wrong and they'll know that it is just a game, a form of entertainment, not real life.

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Over react much? People doing these senseless shootings are to blame nothing else. People drive reckless/drunk in cars and kill many more people each day. So by this logic we should ban cars. Tougher gun laws or assault weapon bans I could see as a valid reaction but video games, seriously?

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
It's amazing how people will get caught up in a frenzy and are willing to act against things they hate in the name of "security". But when it comes to doing something that will make a real difference that requires a little effort on their part they think it's a lost cause or too much work.

snwkill

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
It all boils down to this... An armed populace is a populace that the government must fear, and respect. As long as government continues to get bigger the more they will push to de-arm its populace.

The similarities between the United States today and the beginnings of tyrannical dictatorships of history are quite disturbing. People think that dictators barged their way in, in a way they did but the people cheered for them and praised them as saviors when they first came into power.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]bummerman[/nom]As Tom's Hardware is part of the corporate goo corrupting the world right now, you readers may as well know that Sandy Hook was a movie set-there was no live footage of children leaving the building, no bodies have been seen and witness testimony doesn't withstand scrutiny-there is an agenda behind the madness-same agenda that was 9/11- funny, commenter above is doing tacky networking-America -the best politicians corporate elites can buy[/citation]

you can stfu. one of those little girls uncles is my grand parents neighbors that loved coming out to his lake house in the summers and picking flowers and vegetables with my grandma in her garden.

unoriginal1

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
[citation][nom]mage182[/nom]I played whatever video games I wanted growing up (I'm 30). I don't have a problem with my kids playing whatever video games they want because they will know the difference between right and wrong and they'll know that it is just a game, a form of entertainment, not real life.[/citation]
Someone that is actually PARENTING. Hmmm who'd of thought this might be the solution :/

Good job mage182 ;). Glad some are left.

unoriginal1

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
[citation][nom]mage182[/nom]I played whatever video games I wanted growing up (I'm 30). I don't have a problem with my kids playing whatever video games they want because they will know the difference between right and wrong and they'll know that it is just a game, a form of entertainment, not real life.[/citation]
Huh... Someone actually Parenting. Who'd of thought this might be the solution...

Good job Mage182 glad to see some people are still doing it ;).

G

"How did they decide the goals were attained, anyways?"

Because you're reading it and posting to the article about it. DUH!!!

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Here's the deal - anything can spark off someone who is disturbed and thinking about violent action. Most of the time the people involved in these shootings are quite intelligent, but lack the ability to apply their knowledge to an appropriate outlet. Guess what one of the scientifically proven benefits of playing games is... that's right, problem solving and application of learning. Several studies done about the effects on games have already been done, and they all come up with a similar conclusion; that games help cognitive thinking, problem solving, etc. In fact, a recent study has shown that whether or not you game, and how much you game, are leading indicators of ability as a surgeon. It is because gaming, in particular FPS, teach precision and visualization skills that are difficult to acquire by any other means. Skills don't discriminate. So, a kid who is bullied or otherwise feeling ostracized, sits listening to music, watching TV and movies, feeding their view of themselves and the world, and playing games that while also feeding that beast makes them better critical thinkers, problem solvers, etc. So the depressed kid goes from being fairly intelligent but unable to apply that textbook knowledge to broader activities, indoctrinates themselves with a violent mission, and has now trained their thinking towards execution.

Violent people will seek ways to act violently. Anything can inspire a violent person to act violently. Murder has existed as long as humans have. Blaming music, movies which are new relative to span of human existence, and games which are even newer, is at best misunderstanding the basis of the problem. I happen to think that guns are likewise not the primary culprit. But we better think about limiting guns way before we start limiting games, movies, and music. A crazed person may still find a way to kill, but it's a lot harder to go on a killing spree with a knife than it is with a gun dumping out dozens of rounds in a few seconds.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Parents should be raising their children, not their "electronic baby sitters".

If children can't distinguish between reality and their games, then that is a parenting issue vice an entertainment (games, movies, etc) problem.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]happyballz[/nom] look at numerous lunatics chopping up 25+ people with knives/axes in China...[/citation]

Lol.... You mean that knife attack that killed no one.

Yea, not a good idea to bring that up while defending guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.