Connecticut Town Holds Drive to Collect, Destroy Videogames

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unoriginal1

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]Except your bible and god come with pedophile priests. And there's nothing morally correct about it.[/citation]
lol....
You two act like I'm trying to push religion on you. Kinda funny how offended you guys get.
1) There's no room for pedophiles in the Bible or God. Read Matthew 18:6, Romans 12:19, or Luke 16:1 All of those talk about not harming children and if you do the consequences you'll face.

You don't have to believe, but it's extremely naive to not even know what it says and use something as sour as an obviously evil person committing a horrendous crime as an excuse to cut-down my God or my beliefs.

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
People like and want simplistic answers to complex and generally unanswerable questions, so they pick some object and vilify it as THE answer to preventing what is essentially an unpreventable event. Ban Guns? Ban video games? . . . but look at what happened in Norway with Anders Breivik . . . Norway has very tight firearms laws. Some of these violent perps have never played video games.

The problem lies with people. Some folks are just prone to violence whether through upbringing or through mental illness.

There is a delusional concept of complete safety. The world is inherently dangerous and no amount of people surrendering power to the state can make them completely safe. One fundamental aspect of freedom and liberty is that they have an inherent risk and cost associated with them.

Beyond that, even in the most oppressive and totalitarian regimes, crime and murder still exist . . . usually more so than in free societies.

There is no solution, but a reaffirmation of the value of life--each and every life--is probably the closest we can get.

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]HeadScratcher7[/nom]Seems like a better use of the town's money would be to instead spend it educating families with the following goal:If you have a family member in your household who is not emotionally/mentally stable (ie prone to enraged outbursts, severe depression, psychiatric problems, etc) then you should either NOT have weapons in your household, or they should be secured in a gun safe that the family member in question cannot access.Also, families with a member of suspect stability should seek outside evaluation as the family may have been internally dealing with "issues" for so long that they no longer have an unbiased view.With the USA having 315 million citizens, I'd imagine that a single individual has better chances of winning the Power Ball lottery than being caught in a mass shooting. So other than the Federal Government creating a national psychiatric database to stop the sale of weapons and ammo to some people, I'd suggest they otherwise do nothing. Far more people are struck by lightning and we certainly don't need the Federal Gov. legislating laws about people commuting in stormy weather as a "preventative" measure to prevent lightning strikes.[/citation]

Well said.

BeatMason

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Wouldn't that be polluting? At least the people who though of this will have shorter lifespans from the carcinogens.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
(1) Buy up all the under $10 old PS2, Gameboy, etc old videogames at Gamestop, craigslist or ebay.
(2) Trade em in for th $25 gift certs and buy up all the (i am sure they are only good for Bible thumpin games)
(3) Sell em on ebay or craigslist
(4) Use profits to buy newest violent video games.

G

They could exchange games for guns because it seems that guns are cool to collect, but videogames aren't. Yeah, right.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]Except your bible and god come with pedophile priests. And there's nothing morally correct about it.[/citation]

That was the Catholics that had pedophile priests, not all Christian denominations, jackhole. Get your facts straight you atheist/agnostic hysteric. Communist/atheist rulers have killed many times more millions than all the globe's religions combined throughout the centuries. Or did your atheist upbringing and fellow atheists not teach you that? Talk about a lack of morals.

In any event and back on topic, this guy was sick in the head. His mother tried to get him treated and she could find no help. Of course, she was a big idiot for even taking her crazy son to the shooting range with her. America has severely cut back on funding for the mentally ill. We have abandoned asylums all over that are rotting away that haven't been occupied in decades. Today our society just feels these mentally ill people can "belong" and "coexist" with just counseling and other benign bureaucratic feel good crap. Nonsense. When this guy started hurting himself in high school shop class (and felt no pain and was proud of it), he should have been sent away for confined evaluation.

But like the knee-jerk emotion driven people we have become, it's a hell of a lot easier to blame an inanimate object (guns, video games) than it is on the failure of society and parenting. The day that the fascists try and come for my guns and video games because .01% of people do something bad with them or are otherwise negatively influenced by them - and they succeed - will the the day after hell freezes over.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]anon5099[/nom]so they are going to stop the violence, in a violent way?[/citation]

Pederasts will always seek ways that allow them to interact with children privately and from a position of authority. Be it religions, boy scouts, ymca youth groups, special sports camps etc. Being an atheist doesn't preclude someone from understanding this. Being an idiot on the other hand...

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
First I would like to say, as a parent, that if you have violent video games (GTA, MW2, Battlefield, etc) in your house and your kids are under 17, why did you buy them in the first place? Last I checked there is a big M on the back, pay attention to rating systems if you go to the movies and buy a rated R movie ticket for your 12 year old its the same thing as buying a M rated game for them. Go buy a used Wii and get Mario, Zelda and the hundreds of other games that are made for kids. Then when your kid sits down to play, play with them, be a part of their life.

Second, it's a nice gesture, but unfortunately the media and the general public are likely going to get the wrong message. They are going to see it as finger pointing, as much as your intentions are good, at the end of the day once that message has been passed from media outlet to media outlet it will be lost and miss-communicated.

Lastly, when do we really start talking about the real problems ... the kid had mental issues and his mother showed him how to use guns. How is that ever a bright idea? If she wanted to connect with her kid, she could have just learned how to play violent video games with him and maybe this wouldn't have happened in the first place. People have been killing people for millions of years, but now we have the media around to trump it up and air it to the world for weeks on end giving other people with serious problems the idea that this is how they can make a point. I am in no way saying the media is a cause, but they do give these people an audience, and in a sad sense immortalize them.

At the end of the day this was a horrible tragedy, no level of gun control would have kept it from happening, no metal detectors would have kept him out, locks do nothing when windows can be broken, its just horrible. I look at my 4 year old and can't even fathom how the parents of those kids feel.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
those leaders who blames video games. (but not movies - maybe).... "an entire generation are glued to a screen for six to eight hours a day while they are poking buttons and blowing other people up and shooting them in the face" ~Gov. Brian Schweitze.

So its okay when government leaders decry America’s violent youth when the government keeps sending them off to foreign countries to kill people. because war is like a big video game, right? Maybe we’d have been able to get our troops back from Iraq and Afghanistan faster by convincing Congress it was all a great, big, scary video game. They seem to be more afraid of pretend wars than real ones.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I could say so much shit and supposedly exercise my freedom of speech here to the fullest extent and then much more but I don't want to get banned off this site. Really, this country is so jacked up, and I don't even know where to start. But staying sort of on topic, we should just take over Mexico. We're fine w/ Canada, right? Isn't Mexico where most illegal products come from? Stop the problem there, first, then worry about our Right to Bear Arms and what kind of crap the FCC is allowing on TV nowadays. You can't even turn on the TV now without hearing curse words or seeing anything violent, and guess what? Our kids will behave like that too. Banning violent video games is just stupid, particularly when there's a rating on each one. Parents are idiots for buying their kids this crap and also not knowing how to apply parental controls on TV, or they're too lazy to do it or too lazy to learn it.

I give up. This country will never fix this issue. EVER. Might as well move to Oz or the UK.

sharinlite

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
Does anyone remember "Kristalinach" back pre WW!!...Nazi's burning books? Whispers of Brown shirts boots....BUT
Why don't we focus on the real problem in America? There have been,
an average of four (4), of these crimes per year since l966-2010....but since 2010
the number has increased slightly. However, it is not the guns...it is
the mental stability, ability or diseased functions of the brain brought
about by parents, injury, schools, community, country and/or culture.
Guns have become more violent vicious and more numerous...yet, the
average has been steady until post 2010. Cars, buses and trains have
killed thousands. Alcohol and drugs thousands more. And, certainly
since l966 wars have too. But the one thing that remains constant is
our inability to deal with what causes the brain to break. What is the
physical, emotional or condition of the psyche that leads a young person
or older to do this? What have we given our boys since about l960 in
"drug" therapy that might also add to this? But, no! The progressives
aka democrats nee marxists want citizens to have no guns...so as Rahm
Emanuel himself said: don't let a good crisis go to waste..." even better when
it involves little kids. And Obama appoints the one real dog in the
group that is so sullied by ideology and hatemongering, that there will
be a hard push to accomplish what they tried for decades. Not to
mention that the progressive media will be led and prodded to do what
they are told....watch Diane Sawyer to get a drift. So....let us not
look into the "why" of the thing...let us leave the rest of the young
children and adults to harbor those types among them...let us pretend
that when we have gotten rid of some or maybe all firearms there will be
no more mass killings....until the next one with bombs, knives, illegal
chemicals, cars, trucks or illegal guns! Who are we and they kidding?

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
wow, I am totally surprised that my previous comment actually took a negative vote, to the person that voted down could you please explain what is my comment was negative? (I´m being serious here)

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Everyone know that a certain low % of all kids have issues, if unchecked by parents, school ect its only a matter of time before they become totally unstable and "explode" and the triggering factor can be _anything_.

Its always easier to assign the blame to an scapegoat than the real problems isn't it? Like the media companies were the responsible for poor parenthood, poor school and poor psychiatric care!

Status
Not open for further replies.