Connecting a HTPC with a TV in a different room

ChrisR34000

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
I am using a HTPC to watch movies on an older plasma TV (LG 60PK990, built in 2010). For this purpose I am using:

a) a wired connection via HDMI cable from the HTPC to the TV b) a wired connection from the audio output of the HTPC to a Denon DRA-F107 stereo receiver + stereo speakers c) a Logitech K400 Plus wireless keyboard and mouse d) The HTPC runs Windows 10 and for playback I use MPC-HC with madvr and some custom settings

The problem is that the PC is also used as an office machine in a different room, so every time I want to watch a movie, I have to carry the case to the room with the TV (15 m further away).

I am looking for a solution, which solves this problem, so that I don't need to physically move the HTPC.

My questions are the following:

1) Is it possible to connect a device to the TV which will give me the possibility to use the TV as a monitor and at the same offer the feature of opening a remote session on the PC, so that I can start MPC-HC from the TV room? I have Ethernet LAN and Wi-Fi in both rooms. Would Google Chromecast for instance do this job?

2) If there is such a device as listed under 1): Can I connect the Logitech K400 Plus or any other external keyboard/mouse combo to it? I still need some peripherals to control the playback.

Your input is appreciated! Also, if you know an easier solution, don't hesitate to tell me. Thank you!

Solution
Actually you are accessing the file on the PC and playing it on the streamer.
The Nvidia Shield is supposed to be the best Android TV box but doesn't have an audio output. You can either use an HDMI audio extractor or input selector with audio extractor to get digital audio out or use the digital audio output of the TV.
I think what das_stig means is you can play files on the remote PC using the firestick plugged into an HDMI input of the TV.
Anything that runs PLEX or DLNA will allow you to play files on any computer on your network that is on. No need to actually control the remote PC. This included anything that can run KODI such as android TV boxes.
https://www.techradar.com/news/digital-home/home-networking/dlna-what-it-is-and-what-you-need-to-know-1079015
https://www.plex.tv/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plex-direct-brand&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI06SAlsCm3AIVDeDICh2CdQUJEAAYASAAEgIaI_D_BwE

ChrisR34000

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Thanks alot for clarifying!

So, from what I understand, the device I connect to the TV is just the streaming device. The playback is done on the source PC, while only the output is on the TV. Right?

Could you recommend me a box which:

1) is compatible with Plex
2) has a LAN Port
3) can output video via HDMI to the TV
4) can output audio via digital / analog to a stereo receiver

Actually you are accessing the file on the PC and playing it on the streamer.
The Nvidia Shield is supposed to be the best Android TV box but doesn't have an audio output. You can either use an HDMI audio extractor or input selector with audio extractor to get digital audio out or use the digital audio output of the TV.

Solution