Solved! Connecting Haier TV to Altec Lansing amplifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2022
I have a small Haier TV to which I have connected an Altec Lansing amplifier (VS2421). The connection is achieved through a 3.5 mm headphone jack on the TV and a pair of RCA connectors on the Altec Lansing. The Altec consists of a base speaker box with the power connection, 2 RCA speaker connectors a wired remote connection and the base control for the speaker. The wired remote has a volume control dial, a treble control, and 3.5 mm jacks for headphone, aux and microphone. All was good until I disconnected the RCA connectors to rearrange the wiring and the metal pin cover on one of the RCA connectors stayed in the connector. Can't get it out and the way the amplifier was put together, the panel with the connectors attached can be removed from the speaker box but the power cord attached to the panelled the transformer is too short to allow the panel to come out far enough to access the RCA connector with the pin stuck inside. So rather than tear the speaker box apart I converted the 2 RCA connectors to a 3.5 mm jack. I had been running a pair of Dell computer speakers from the aux jack (3.5mm) on the wired remote and it worked OK but the sound quality was not as good as the Altec speakers. When I connected the 3.5 mm jack, which I had converted from the RCA connector, to the Aux jack on the wired remote, there was no sound. When I connected it to the earphone jack the speakers worked but the base speaker was muted. Tried a few different 3.5mm male connectors but that wasn't the problem. I am new to the forum but can see there is lots of talent out there. Would appreciate any ideas on this problem. Hope i have provided enough info, Thanks

Dec 22, 2022
Problem solved. Modified my soldering iron to have an inch of # 14 copper wire as the solder tip. Put a drop of solder on it and put it to the bottom of the female RCA jack which had the prong from the male RCA connector stuck in it. Turned on the soldering iron long enough to melt the solder and let it cool. Was able to pull out the broken tip, attached to the soldering iron. The RCA connectors can now connect the speakers to the amplifier the way it was intended. Works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.