Question Optical to RCA/3.5mm - TV Volume Control?

Nov 11, 2022
I purchased a few entry level items for an outdoor TV set up, where I have my receiver (Yamaha RX-V385BL) inside, running a DTAW6500 speaker. I installed a cheap TV outside and when I ran the speaker cable, I also ran an optical cable for the TV.

Being a novice and forgetting that I would not be able to adjust the TV volume with the TV remote by using the optical cable, I am now attempting to find alternative solutions as having to run inside to adjust the volume for different apps/channels is not convenient.

I stumbled across an RCA/3.5mm aux (aux goes into TV, RCA to converter) to Optical converter. My thought was to connect the receiver to the converter via optical (since it’s already ran throughout the house), then from the converter to the TV via RCA/3.5mm aux. Would this fix my volume control issue?

If not, how else would I be able to fix this? My goal is to prevent having to run additional cables.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022
this would not fix your problem unless you are using a headphone out jack on the tv. If you are using a traditional Analog out on the tv it will likely be line level and fixed volume output.
The only low-cost fix would be to install an IR repeater system and take the Yamaha remote outside. It appears that model of AVR is not networked, many of the Yamaha AVR's are networked and you can control the volume via an app, that might be worth looking into.