Solved! Connecting electronics not necessarily meant to be connected

Brad_64

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017
I have been looking for a turntable for a while to play some records left in the house i bought. I found one cheap, but when i got it, it wasn't what i was expecting. It was a sanyo all in one tuner, tape deck, turntable. It has no line out, aside from the speaker hook-ups. My question is, with some knowledge of wiring, soldering, etc, is it possible to directly tap into the signal from the record player and tie in audio cables to connect to my a/v receiver? Thanks

Solution
Yes.

Not a whole lot of stuff comes out of a turntable.

Basically you have:

INPUTS (TT, RADIO, TAPE) ----> SELECTOR -----> AMPLIFIER SECTION.

Tap it from the selector switch would be the easiest.

Brad_64

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

You're clearly misunderstanding what i want to do

SinxarKnights

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Well what do you want to do?

Going by what you posted, you want to give the turntable a line-out to plug into your receiver. If you go from the selector section of the circuit, before it is amped, that is where you need to get the signal from.

If this is not correct, can you please clarify?

Brad_64

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

I don't know what I'm doing with motherboards, and if I'm understanding you, to try to tap into the turntable signal at the switch would involve deciphering the different parts on the board. I was thinking more before the turntable connects to the board, where individual wires are still available. There are 5 wires, and I've narrowed the audio signal down to a pink white and uninsulated wire. The red and black still running to the turntable supply the power to turn, etc. But now i don't know how to take the 3 other wires and connect them to a receiver.

SinxarKnights

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Oh ok.

Well the output from that should be mono, so should only be two audio wires for that part. The key word is should.

Its hard to say without looking up the turntable part number to see what they are supposed to do, honestly i haven't had to to that in many years. Best bet would be to try to find the part number and google it and hope there is a diagram for it somewhere. Unless somebody knows that off the top of their head, which is possible, lots of electronics people around here.

Even if you tap into these wires, you'll get a signal with such a low amplitude that your receiver won't be able to pick it up. As previous three persons mentioned - tapping at selector switch (or speakers-to-line converter) is the only viable solution.