Connecting HD Antenna to TV and Yamaha Receiver

jiden77

Estimable
May 15, 2014
Hello,
Forgive me if this has been posted before, but I was unable to find the answer I was looking for.

My wife and I are in the beginning stages of ditching DirecTV for over-the-air broadcasting and streaming TV to save money. I would like to purchase a higher-end antenna, which will route free broadcasting into my home. The dilemma I've run into is how to extract the 5.1 audio from the coaxial line coming from the Antenna into my Yamaha RX-V475 receiver, which does not have a coax input. Also, my Samsung UN55FH6003 TV has plenty of inputs, but no audio out, which has created quite a problem now that were looking to convert our setup.

My question is, how to I extract, or output the audio coming from my new antenna into my Yamaha receiver so I can still enjoy 5.1 sound on my home theater when tuning into the over-the-air broadcasting from my Antenna? Thanks for your help!

John

Solution
I understand.

The thing is ... that's not much of an HDD for capturing HD content, and converting Tivo files for a permanent media library becomes the complex and time-consuming factor. Sounds like the wifey got to yah :lol:

I've set my recording schedule, and set the software to automatically convert the OTA HD transport streams to MPG. I've been at this for quite some time and built quite an impressive video library ... much of it based on 'commercial-free PBS' content (trying to help you with the wife :D) ...

If your TV does not have any audio outputs then you cannot get audio from it to your receiver. You can get one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Television-Recorder-Component-Output/dp/B00EHHPPM0/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_1
that will act as an outboard tuner and give your DVR functions as well. It has a coax digital audio output that you would connect to your receiver. You can also split the antenna to feed it and the TV giving you the ability to record one channel and watch another (with TV sound only).

jiden77

Estimable
May 15, 2014
Thanks for your suggestions. It made me realize we'd be giving up our DVR with DirecTV, so I'll be purchasing a TiVo Premier, which will solve this problem, since it will accept an RF input, then in turn will connect to my receiver via HDMI

Wisecracker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Wow ... Samsung really cheaped-out on that model with no option to pass your audio to a receiver. That's almost ridiculous for a flat screen that large.

Do you have a computer you could use as an HTPC ?? A TV tuner card costs around $100, works as a PVR, and you may pass multichannel audio to your receiver via toslink or even your analog-outs ...

jiden77

Estimable
May 15, 2014
I agree, must be why Best Buy had it marked so low last Christmas. I can't complain too much since it has a beautiful picture and I only paid $699 for 55 inches. I thought about using a computer as a means for DVR and other media playback, but it would be a more complex setup. With a 2 year old and a little girl on the way, I'm all about simplicity these days. Very happy with the reviews of Tivo too!

Wisecracker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
I understand.

The thing is ... that's not much of an HDD for capturing HD content, and converting Tivo files for a permanent media library becomes the complex and time-consuming factor. Sounds like the wifey got to yah :lol:

I've set my recording schedule, and set the software to automatically convert the OTA HD transport streams to MPG. I've been at this for quite some time and built quite an impressive video library ... much of it based on 'commercial-free PBS' content (trying to help you with the wife :D) ...

Solution

Fidknop

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015

I have the same issue with my 65" Samsung monitor with similar set up... Yeah I couldn't believe it when I figured out there were no audio outs... WTF.

@americanaudiophile: The link you shared seems to be just what the doctor ordered - Thanks for the share!