Connecting HD TV to Bluetooth Speaker via HDMI or Optical port

K-Ron-63

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015
I have a Proscan HD TV that does not have bluetooth. Have a Salute bluetooth speaker bar that I want to use to augment my sound because of the limited nature of built in speakers in this style of TV (project down). Available ports are HDMI and optical from the TV. Speaker has a USB port available and aux port.
Will a USB port like this receive sound from a TV? If so do they make those kind of cables (HDMI to USB or Optical to USB)? Alternative is to get a bluetooth dongle that plugs into HDMI or Optical? The TV is already connected to a UVERS system and DVD. Not looking to spend $100+ on a dongle to make a $90 speaker work, thought getting a bluetooth speaker with good reviews would be a simple solution with flexibility for future use on other things.

K-Ron-63

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015

Thanks, looks like it comes with an optical to optical cable. Has mixed reviews on the product itself so I will research further, but at least I know there is a soltuion. And, since you offered this, that means there isn't a usb solution because audio doesn't travel usb to usb or hdmi to usb???

kanewolf

Judicious
I don't know of any TV that outputs audio on USB. Most of them are only available for a WIFI adapter or a USB drive of some kind. There might be a way to get the audio off an HDMI back channel but I don't know of one. Optical is the most obvious solution....