Connecting home stereo system speakers to TV without a reciever

Epitaph95

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Hey guys!

So my friend just recently gave me the speakers from their Samsung HT-C5500 5.1 surround sound system because the receiver is broken. So I'm left here with 5 speakers and a subwoofer and no way of connecting them to my TV or PC. I don't really want to get a new receiver because of their complexity and price and so I'm wondering how I could connect these as directly to my TV as possible. I know next to nothing about this stuff but I know that I need a hub or decoder of some sort but from my 5 minutes of googling it seems like decoders only work if the speakers have a built in amp, which these don't.
So basically what I want to know is is it possible to connect these to my TV/PC without an expensive and complicated receiver and if so what are my options? I don't even need all 5 speakers working, stereo or even one speaker would be enough, I just don't want to toss these in the trash if it's at all possible to salvage any of it.

Solution
Unless you have very fancy TV with dedicated speaker outputs (spring-loaded black/red terminals), these speakers are as good as a brick.

YOu can get a stereo amplifier (two speakers) for like $40, which you can plug in headphones output of the TV. To be able to use all speakers, you'll need a receiver, and optical / coax audio connection between your TV and the receiver.
Unless you have very fancy TV with dedicated speaker outputs (spring-loaded black/red terminals), these speakers are as good as a brick.

YOu can get a stereo amplifier (two speakers) for like $40, which you can plug in headphones output of the TV. To be able to use all speakers, you'll need a receiver, and optical / coax audio connection between your TV and the receiver.

Solution