Solved! Connecting Logitech z906 to g53SX A1

ryfry

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
I was wondering if it is at all possible to connect my asus to the logitech z906 and utilze the 5.1 surround sound. My g53 does have a sound card in it, but it was the standard sound card for 3D audio. I read on some logitech forums that it could connect and work if one has an external usb sound card. Are there any other ways to connect w/o having to buy the external sound card? Thanks ahead of time to everybody that answers!

Solution
There is no such converter. If you get an external sound card, read the specs to make sure it has the right outputs for the speakers. You don't just want it to play to all the speakers, that's easy. You would want the 5.1 sound to be routed properly. You can get them all to play sound with a splitter, but all you will hear is the R and L channels not the R, L, RR, LR, center sounds.
There is no such converter. If you get an external sound card, read the specs to make sure it has the right outputs for the speakers. You don't just want it to play to all the speakers, that's easy. You would want the 5.1 sound to be routed properly. You can get them all to play sound with a splitter, but all you will hear is the R and L channels not the R, L, RR, LR, center sounds.

Solution

ryfry

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
A kid in my dorm told me that it could be run with a usb to optical or stereo to optical...Shame on him. I'm looking at ext. sound cards right now and the cards that have the necessary jacks for 5.1 and 7.1 have the same jacks utilized in the z906 so in theory would't it work? I would think all I need is male-male stereo jack to plug into both the laptop and the sound card. I hope its that simple, probably isn't though haha
Thanks for the help though!

ryfry

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
I was looking at that and the encore electronics one. I actually decided on getting the z623 for my laptop as I'm somewhat limited in space, But I probably will end up upgrading to the z906 or an actual htib for my desktop back home for which I probably will get an external sound card to save money (rather than getting an internal for the desktop and an external for my laptop). Thanks again man I can't thank you enough!